return pump question

SR52012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on combining all of my small tanks into either a 20g or 29g tank until my 75 gal build is complete... it would be a 20\29 with a 10 gal sump. what size return pump would you recommend? I have all of the other equipment i.e. lights, tanks.

Thanks!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on combining all of my small tanks into either a 20g or 29g tank until my 75 gal build is complete... it would be a 20\29 with a 10 gal sump. what size return pump would you recommend? I have all of the other equipment i.e. lights, tanks.

Thanks!
Assuming about 35 gallons total water volume, you will need to turn over that volume 5-10 times per hour. Something like a Jebao DC-3000 would work well and is adjustable. 3000 L/h is 790 gph at 100% output, but you could get away with something even smaller. A WP-1500 might even be a better fit...it's cheap, but it is not variable speed.

What will be the vertical distance between the sump and return line back into the tank? I'm pretty sure the issue is going to be pump head, not flow for your system.

OP
OP
S

SR52012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming about 35 gallons total water volume, you will need to turn over that volume 5-10 times per hour. Something like a Jebao DC-3000 would work well and is adjustable. 3000 L/h is 790 gph at 100% output, but you could get away with something even smaller. A WP-1500 might even be a better fit...it's cheap, but it is not variable speed.

What will be the vertical distance between the sump and return line back into the tank? I'm pretty sure the issue is going to be pump head, not flow for your system.

It will only be a few feet, i will build a stand with the sump below the tank.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will only be a few feet, i will build a stand with the sump below the tank.
Yeah, I think you might also want to consider a spillback line in the pump discharge if you go with a larger variable speed pump. The variable speed pumps can put up 8+ feet of head, but the WP-1500 can only produce 45 inches of head.

Back