Return pump question

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be upgrading tanks and going to build my first sump is this a good return or is there better for less money tank is going to be a 75g
FD55FFAC-C0B4-4BF6-8617-9FBE91AEDB68.png

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe... A general rule of thumb is 3 to 5x the total volume of system water per hour, more than that for sps tanks I think. You also need to take into account how much water the pump will move with x amount of head pressure. To figure that you need to know the length of your return line and look for the spec for that pump, should be a chart that shows feet of return and gpm of the pump changing as the head pressure increases.

If you have a standard tank stand you're probably around 4-5 tf of head pressure. Quick math tells me you might want to step up to the next size pump since based on display tank volume only you're at 225-375 gph, not including head pressure and sump volume. You'd be running the pump towards the upper end of it's rating.

Hope that isn't too confusing, I'm working the second half of a double shift, it makes sense to me! o_O

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not compromise on a return pump, it is the life of your tank, it connects your tank to the filtration (sump) so buy a quality return pump and that one or next size up as a spare.
that one is a cheap Chinese brand although it is fairly popular in Europe, Abyzz or reef octo varios are my pumps of choice but I would definitely only look at that one as an emergency spare.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not compromise on a return pump, it is the life of your tank, it connects your tank to the filtration (sump) so buy a quality return pump and that one or next size up as a spare.
that one is a cheap Chinese brand although it is fairly popular in Europe, Abyzz or reef octo varios are my pumps of choice but I would definitely only look at that one as an emergency spare.

Plenty of folks have used Jebao pumps for years and years without any issues, even in NA. I would rather save my $ and spend it something that actually makes sense.

Cheap? yes. Does it work? Definitely.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is your choice my friend.
But instead of telling me, why don't you offer your wisdom and knowledge about these pumps and offer some advice to the op about the pumps.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
go bigger and buy two ,controllable and you have back up rec min 1000gph for 75
my be cheap seen em run long time ,

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 4000 on my 40b. Running almost a year no issues. You might even want the 6000 if you are going to do a manifold or something fancy.

same gph better quality

Similar gph high quality

Similar gph professional quality

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the 4000 on my 40b. Running almost a year no issues. You might even want the 6000 if you are going to do a manifold or something fancy.

agree dct 12000 3 years constant wide open no prob

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is your choice my friend.
But instead of telling me, why don't you offer your wisdom and knowledge about these pumps and offer some advice to the op about the pumps.

I believe I did do that. What I dont understand is why would someone suggest to the OP to look into Abyzz pump, that costs 10X+ more than pump he was asking about.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run their DCP-6500 on my 90 at about half power, I've had it for over a year now with no issues other than it's huge. It takes up quite a bit of space in my sump and barely fits in the return chamber. Granted, I purchased one way oversized and could definitely get away with one smaller.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I love the "Simplicity" Brand.

I have their Protein Skimmer and Return pump, both are great and at a FRACTION of the price of other brands.

Definitely look into them ;) I haven't had one problem with either.

Last edited:

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I did do that. What I dont understand is why would someone suggest to the OP to look into Abyzz pump, that costs 10X+ more than pump he was asking about.
Firstly let me apologise profoundly as i didnt know only your opinion mattered, i hope you can forgive me.
Secondly Abyzz pumps are 20-30 times more expensive than that one but as i dont know th op's financial situation it would be presumptuous and rude for me to judge so i offered 2 choices out of many and explained the importance of a return pump.
So please in future when you want to pick a petty little argument please dont use other peoples posts, either start your own 'i am petty and want an argument' thread or just argue with yourself and you might have a small chance of winning one.
I am beginning to think that this forum isnot as friendly as i first thought but i will give it a chance and hope it is not like most other forums.
Oh by the way have a very nice day

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly let me apologise profoundly as i didnt know only your opinion mattered, i hope you can forgive me.
Secondly Abyzz pumps are 20-30 times more expensive than that one but as i dont know th op's financial situation it would be presumptuous and rude for me to judge so i offered 2 choices out of many and explained the importance of a return pump.
So please in future when you want to pick a petty little argument please dont use other peoples posts, either start your own 'i am petty and want an argument' thread or just argue with yourself and you might have a small chance of winning one.
I am beginning to think that this forum isnot as friendly as i first thought but i will give it a chance and hope it is not like most other forums.
Oh by the way have a very nice day

Well, let me try to dumb it down real nice and easy for you, so maybe then you will understand. If person asked for feedback on a $100-$150 pump, why would you even think they are interested to know about $1500+ pump? That would be same as someone asking for feedback on Hyundai and I suggest they look at Koenigsegg. Makes 0 sense.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am presuming this is not a personal attack as I see more than my post suggests the same pumps and more than I did yet I don't see an attack on anybody else so hey maybe it is personal. so I will simply put you on ignore.
I also apologise to the op for the way this thread has gone and hope they get an answer they are looking for.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz is arguably the best DC pump on the market right now. Plus a 10 year warranty. I dont think you could go wrong with one of these pumps. They aren't cheap, but you're buying piece of mind that the heart of your setup doesn't quit beating or pumping. You're are paying for higher quality and piece of mind.

That said, Abyzz are too pricey for me. So I went with a Sicce ac pump. I do not need to be able to control my return pump with technology. Valves work just fine for me to throttle down the pump, if needed.

What ever the op decides on, I would still get a spare pump sooner than later. If the return does go out for some reason, you can get the system back up and running quickly. This does not need to be top of the line or even the same exact pump. Just something to get water flowing through the sump again till the original pump is repaired or replaced will help.

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the advice of not skimping on the return pump. The primary way that a tank will overflow is the return pump malfunctions, clogs, etc and the sump overflows. That being said, the overflow the sump issue can be addressed by not filling the sump too much. I also second the advice of getting two smaller return pumps and that they should be DC controllable to better be able to tune and match to your overflow/drain. I think that is the generally accepted advice being given these days. Redundancy with everything! I think these goals can be accomplished without going with the Abyss. The following are all really good pumps made by reputable vendors: Ecotech Vectra, Reef Octopus Varios, Neptune COR-20 and Sicce are all good pumps that I recently considered for my system.

Two other things I would suggest you consider in addition to pressure-loss due to height (as mentioned by twistedfinn967 above): (1) pressure loss due to elbows if you're hard plumbing, and (2) more importantly, the size of your return pipe/tubing. I've got a COR-20 rated for 2000 gph but only doing 520 because of using 3/4" tubing. I ended up going with a COR-20 and COR-15 and running two return pumps. I'm running about 850-900 gph through the sump, which is about 5x through the sump, which is fine these days (10x turnover though the sump is old school and really only applicable if you intend to do the triton method).

One final global comment, if you're looking to bargain shop, then this probably isn't the best hobby. Two things you need lots of in this hobby: (1) Patience and (2) Money.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although conversations, even spirited ones, are encouraged, they need to be done in a respectful manner. Please let's continue to assist the OP with a pump selection without personal attacks. The "Be Nice" policy is something we take seriously.

Good luck to the OP finding a pump. As you've discovered, there are a lot of options.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have a controllable return pump (Ecotech M1) I don't think they are necessary or important. I've never changed the settings on mine since I set it up.

If budget is an issue I heartily recommend a Sicce Syncra Silent non controllable pump line. I ran one for several years before getting the Ecotech. I still keep the Sicce for a back up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back