Return pump schedule

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than programming a return pump for feedmodes, does anyone vary their return pump for more less flow during the day? It seemed like a good idea before i got my DC pump to vary during the day just to vary flow in the tank but when the pump increases the level in my sump goes down causing my top off pump to turn on and then when the flow goes down my level is higher than ideal. I suppose it averages out but just wondering if anyone if using their return pump this way.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run our return pumps consistent setting for the entire 24 hours.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very surprised if any does this, mainly for the reason you noted of the return section water level fluctuations. If you want varied flow in the display you should do it with programmable circ pumps instead.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have other programmable circulating pumps, was just trying to add as much random circulation to keep things exiting in the tank.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I leave it at the same level and only change it to compensate for water level in the overflow and when doing water changes.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any value to turning the pump up in the middle of the night so that more kalk from at top off gets dumped into the sump to keep PH up?

Lowtideaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than programming a return pump for feedmodes, does anyone vary their return pump for more less flow during the day? It seemed like a good idea before i got my DC pump to vary during the day just to vary flow in the tank but when the pump increases the level in my sump goes down causing my top off pump to turn on and then when the flow goes down my level is higher than ideal. I suppose it averages out but just wondering if anyone if using their return pump this way.
I
what kind of pump did you use in looking for a decent pump I can use for my high/low tide tank build and I want to be able to control the out put throughout the day ?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back