Return pump size - can you go too big?

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following on from my uv plumbing thread yesterday

I’m undecided whether to get one or two pumps, if I went way oversized and got a dc pump, if for example it was running at its lowest setting but still pushing too much through could I use a gate valve to tune it back further or would this create a back pressure that’s going to be bad for the longevity of the pump

thanks

Bigjay615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC pump Should have a controller so you won't need a gate on output end to throttle. It should all Be speed Contolled.
But you may need gate or bale valves on return lines to get rid of gurgle and return noise...

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC pump Should have a controller so you won't need a gate on output end to throttle. It should all Be speed Contolled.
But you may need gate or bale valves on return lines to get rid of gurgle and return noise...
Yes I know they are controllable but if they cannot be turned down enough as some don’t go that low

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your sump is big enough (and your pockets deep enough) I would go for two pumps for redundancy. Size them for 50-75% of the required flow so you can get by with one in case of a failure.

As said DC pumps cam be turned down, if using AC pumps use ball or gate vales to throttle the output.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed the tank spec to have two drains and now two returns so I can use two pumps running independently one through the uv

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back