OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so wife got the pump apart, didnt see anything. she is gonna soak in vinegar and water for an hour. does she just throw back together and back in sump? is that vinegar safe to put back in, just a little rinse with water?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so wife got the pump apart, didnt see anything. she is gonna soak in vinegar and water for an hour. does she just throw back together and back in sump? is that vinegar safe to put back in, just a little rinse with water?
Keep us updated

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will do, thanks guys. just added 1k worth of WWC coral from the live sale. ughhh..

currently soaking.
I can just imagine trying to walk my wife through a similar situation while she's complaining to me about how much I told her I spent on coral and new equipment while hoping she doesn't find out how much I actually spent. Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can just imagine trying to walk my wife through a similar situation while she's complaining to me about how much I told her I spent on coral and new equipment while hoping she doesn't find out how much I actually spent. Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you
exactly! im on facetime right now. she is putting it back together right now. its not going together easily of course. the pump is only 3-4 months old. would impeller be 'swollen' already?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly! im on facetime right now. she is putting it back together right now. its not going together easily of course. the pump is only 3-4 months old. would impeller be 'swollen' already?
It shouldn't be, if it came apart easy it's probably not swollen. Most likely she's not getting it quite straight and it's binding and not seating all the way

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a Varios 8 for about a year and recently cleaned it and didn’t notice any “swelling” or damage. Just the usual crud that vinegar cleaned right up. I did have a power supply go bad and bought a 6 as a backup. Manufacturer replaced the power supply no problem.

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so nothing. i had her plug it in before putting all back together, to see if the impeller spins. nothing.

i have an octo skimmer and powerhead. thinking power issue. wonder if i can switch power supplies.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so nothing. i had her plug it in before putting all back together, to see if the impeller spins. nothing.

i have an octo skimmer and powerhead. thinking power issue. wonder if i can switch power supplies.
I have two power bars in different circuits in the house. I had one circuit breaker trip and the Apex and PB832 looked normal. Took awhile to figure out that the breaker had tripped because all lights were still on on the PB, they were being powered by the other PB.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said the lights were on on the Varios controller, makes me think it’s not a power problem. Even tho my lights were on on the PB, there was no power to the plugs. CoralVue owns Reef Octopus and they had good support the time I needed them.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on if the power supplies have the same voltage, VA or wattage rating, and polarity. I don't have the same equipment as you so I can't say for sure without seeing it

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on if the power supplies have the same voltage, VA or wattage rating, and polarity. I don't have the same equipment as you so I can't say for sure without seeing it
The skimmer has a much smaller pump and probably no power supply. I also have a RO skimmer, 201 something.

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said the lights were on on the Varios controller, makes me think it’s not a power problem. Even tho my lights were on on the PB, there was no power to the plugs. CoralVue owns Reef Octopus and they had good support the time I needed them.
the 15min and 60min just start blinking. goes all blue lights like its working then back to blinking.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratings of the power supplies should be printed on them. I had a power supply go bad once and my lfs let me borrow one until I got a warranty replacement from the manufacturer

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything else plugged into the EB works fine. just this dang return pump and its blinking lights.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but do you have a 10v control cable from your Apex to the Varios? Could be an Apex setup problem if Apex is controlling the pump for feed cycles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back