Return pump suggestion for 120 tank

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to get a new tank in the next two-three weeks. I am currently getting the equipment but I can't decide on which return pump to get. I want one with a controller so I can shut them off instead of having to disconnect it from the power. Does anyone have an suggestion for a pump that is 1200 GPH (minimum) with a controller?

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoTech Vectra S2. Spendy but worth it

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two vectras. One is 4 years old and one is less than a year. I clean them a few times a year with muriatic acid and they run great. Highly recommend.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Neptune Cor 20's on my 120. One runs various equipment off a manifold before going to a return. The other runs a UV sterilizer before going to a return.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two vectras. One is 4 years old and one is less than a year. I clean them a few times a year with muriatic acid and they run great. Highly recommend.
How would you rate the silence on the pump? The one I have on my tank is a pretty old school pump so it's a bit loud from time to time

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Neptune Cor 20's on my 120. One runs various equipment off a manifold before going to a return. The other runs a UV sterilizer before going to a return.
Would running two pumps just be better in general in case one fails?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a label maker and a power bar or strip with switches. Bam. U dont need to unplug just flip the switch.

Id say sicce for a dc pump or even a jaebo. Lol.
Sp series by fluval are the pumps i recommend for a return. Hths
D

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want reliable, ecotech vectra, if you want cheap, buy two jebao return pumps, having one as a backup for when it eventually fails

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to get a new tank in the next two-three weeks. I am currently getting the equipment but I can't decide on which return pump to get. I want one with a controller so I can shut them off instead of having to disconnect it from the power. Does anyone have an suggestion for a pump that is 1200 GPH (minimum) with a controller?
Why 1200gph minimum?

You can narrow your choices down by the type of drain system you will be using. Durso drains only handle about 700gph, a 1in full siphon drain about 900gph, and a 3/4in full siphon is only about 400gph.

If you're running a bean animal drain with a 1in full siphon and a durso pipe, you would be looking at roughly 1700gph MAXIMUM, the amount of flow would be actually lower do to the gate valve restricting flow thorough the full siphon drain, and the amount of actual flow through the durso would probably be less than 700gph as well.

I would say a pump thats adjustable from 500-1500gph would probably be more than enough for any single drain application.

Personally I run a 1000gph Aquatop DC pump. It has a small controller that has 7 different levels to run at. I can't hear it when the cabinet door is closed, but there is the ever slightest hum when the door is open, but that could be vibration of the hard plumbing and not necessarily the pump itself.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dc pump that is rated for more flow than you want should work for your needs. I use a jebao and it has been silent and completely reliable for 2 years. Using 2 pumps for redundancy is always a good idea if you have space for them.
It's always good to have a backup pump in case one fails regardless of manufacturer. All pumps will fail if given enough time.

Otherwise just go by what price you want to spend.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the newest Vectra and the COR. The Vectra was good but louder and slowed down faster (required more cleaning). I also didn’t like the software and programming. It just never seemed to work correctly and I wasn’t confident it was when it was.

The other option I considered (this was awhile ago) was the Reef Octopus pump. I like their skimmers and find their products to be good quality.

I use the Vectra for saltwater mixing and the COR as my return pump now. The Apex integration is
nice. It has a physical controller (that’s smaller than the ecotech).

the COR is a cheap date that I can monitor temp/speed from one place, is dead silent, and is basically a garbage disposal unit for nassarius snail shells; Once a year cleaning vs every 3-6 months. It’s ugly and the orange is stupid looking but when you take off the guard plate you will see it’s built like a brick outhouse.

Just my 2 cents.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.2%
Back