Returning to the hobby

Scuba_SC905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm returning to the hobby after about a 10+ year hiatus, marriage, kids, moving...etc. My last tank was a 55 gallon, mixed reef. I always used canister filters, because I was always nervous about an overflow. This time I'm going with a 125 gallon, 48x24x24 acrylic tank. A lot has changed since my last tank and a have a few equipment questions.

UV Sterilizer - does anyone still use them?
How big a sump do you recommend for a tank this size?
What size return pump? In looking at the supreme guide ahead..I should be looking at one that does 1250GPH. Is that right?
Overflow rate? 600GPH?
Powerhead? - for a mixed reef, do I still need 40x turnover?
Reactors? - do i really need them or are they overkill? GFO, Fluidized Bio-bed, nitrate, algae scrubber...etc.
Heater/Chiller? - the tank will be a built-in, far away from any window or exterior wall.
Refugium? - is this a must have as well?
Raised live rock? - in my last tank, I built a 'stand' for my live rock structure using PVC, so the live rock was just off the sand bed. This way i could get some water flow across the bottom of the structure and my clean up crew could get to any detritus. Any thoughts on doing this again?

Thanks in advance for all the advice/opinions.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
S

Scuba_SC905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Super excited to get back into it. My son is already picking livestock that he wants in the tank.:)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm returning to the hobby after about a 10+ year hiatus, marriage, kids, moving...etc. My last tank was a 55 gallon, mixed reef. I always used canister filters, because I was always nervous about an overflow. This time I'm going with a 125 gallon, 48x24x24 acrylic tank. A lot has changed since my last tank and a have a few equipment questions.

UV Sterilizer - does anyone still use them?
How big a sump do you recommend for a tank this size?
What size return pump? In looking at the supreme guide ahead..I should be looking at one that does 1250GPH. Is that right?
Overflow rate? 600GPH?
Powerhead? - for a mixed reef, do I still need 40x turnover?
Reactors? - do i really need them or are they overkill? GFO, Fluidized Bio-bed, nitrate, algae scrubber...etc.
Heater/Chiller? - the tank will be a built-in, far away from any window or exterior wall.
Refugium? - is this a must have as well?
Raised live rock? - in my last tank, I built a 'stand' for my live rock structure using PVC, so the live rock was just off the sand bed. This way i could get some water flow across the bottom of the structure and my clean up crew could get to any detritus. Any thoughts on doing this again?

Thanks in advance for all the advice/opinions.
welcome, sounds like a great size to jump back in with!
giphy.gif

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back