Returning to the hobby

Scuba_SC905

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2018
Messages
2
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm returning to the hobby after about a 10+ year hiatus, marriage, kids, moving...etc. My last tank was a 55 gallon, mixed reef. I always used canister filters, because I was always nervous about an overflow. This time I'm going with a 125 gallon, 48x24x24 acrylic tank. A lot has changed since my last tank and a have a few equipment questions.

UV Sterilizer - does anyone still use them?
How big a sump do you recommend for a tank this size?
What size return pump? In looking at the supreme guide ahead..I should be looking at one that does 1250GPH. Is that right?
Overflow rate? 600GPH?
Powerhead? - for a mixed reef, do I still need 40x turnover?
Reactors? - do i really need them or are they overkill? GFO, Fluidized Bio-bed, nitrate, algae scrubber...etc.
Heater/Chiller? - the tank will be a built-in, far away from any window or exterior wall.
Refugium? - is this a must have as well?
Raised live rock? - in my last tank, I built a 'stand' for my live rock structure using PVC, so the live rock was just off the sand bed. This way i could get some water flow across the bottom of the structure and my clean up crew could get to any detritus. Any thoughts on doing this again?

Thanks in advance for all the advice/opinions.
 
welcome back.
giphy.gif
 
Thanks. Super excited to get back into it. My son is already picking livestock that he wants in the tank.:)
 
Hi All,

I'm returning to the hobby after about a 10+ year hiatus, marriage, kids, moving...etc. My last tank was a 55 gallon, mixed reef. I always used canister filters, because I was always nervous about an overflow. This time I'm going with a 125 gallon, 48x24x24 acrylic tank. A lot has changed since my last tank and a have a few equipment questions.

UV Sterilizer - does anyone still use them?
How big a sump do you recommend for a tank this size?
What size return pump? In looking at the supreme guide ahead..I should be looking at one that does 1250GPH. Is that right?
Overflow rate? 600GPH?
Powerhead? - for a mixed reef, do I still need 40x turnover?
Reactors? - do i really need them or are they overkill? GFO, Fluidized Bio-bed, nitrate, algae scrubber...etc.
Heater/Chiller? - the tank will be a built-in, far away from any window or exterior wall.
Refugium? - is this a must have as well?
Raised live rock? - in my last tank, I built a 'stand' for my live rock structure using PVC, so the live rock was just off the sand bed. This way i could get some water flow across the bottom of the structure and my clean up crew could get to any detritus. Any thoughts on doing this again?

Thanks in advance for all the advice/opinions.
welcome, sounds like a great size to jump back in with!
giphy.gif
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new