Reusing old live rock, worth it?

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been out for years now and I'm probably going to be starting a new tank.

I've had a brute trash can full of rock from my old tank kept dry for several years now. Id of course like to save a bit of money and reuse it, I've read a few posts here about how best to go about that. I was hoping I might be able to just rinse it all off real good and then start cycling it ahead of time in that same trash can ...

I guess my question is, would it be worth the work? Tanks are expensive and I really don't want to battle with problems from reusing the old rock. but I'm also not in a hurry, haven't even decided on a tank (Spoiler it will probably be a 300xl), so if it's just a time and patience thing, I don't mind, I just don't want to regret it in a year.

OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost a week in bleach
F39FC58A-6039-483A-90D4-C29709749A8B.jpeg
95590ED5-03F8-43A4-8F6A-7E050F85C3EF.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine rinse and put in new tank, enjoy. Do not overthink freakin rocks. They are not phosphate traps.

They can be since most people have the tank go to trash before they break it down and then leave the rocks to die and dry. Lots of things on /in those rocks have died and they are still sitting there.
Yes definitely cure the rocks first. I have the same rocks (dead reef rocks) which is the real deal as you that I bought from someone who had shutdown his tank a while ago.

I'm starting a new tank and wasn't really thinking if adding used rocks could go bad. So I just cleaned them, pressure washed them and just added them to my DT.

But now I have high phosphates and close to 8ppm ammonia spike in my tank. Tank's been running for a week (no fish) and still has ammonia.

Not sure how long now I will have to wait before all the nitrifying bacteria develops and consume those ammonia! And also to deal with phosphate with phosguard or something..

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.7%
Back