Reusing old live rock, worth it?

ShakerBreaker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2016
Messages
155
Reaction score
227
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been out for years now and I'm probably going to be starting a new tank.

I've had a brute trash can full of rock from my old tank kept dry for several years now. Id of course like to save a bit of money and reuse it, I've read a few posts here about how best to go about that. I was hoping I might be able to just rinse it all off real good and then start cycling it ahead of time in that same trash can ...

I guess my question is, would it be worth the work? Tanks are expensive and I really don't want to battle with problems from reusing the old rock. but I'm also not in a hurry, haven't even decided on a tank (Spoiler it will probably be a 300xl), so if it's just a time and patience thing, I don't mind, I just don't want to regret it in a year.
 
After almost a week in bleach
F39FC58A-6039-483A-90D4-C29709749A8B.jpeg
95590ED5-03F8-43A4-8F6A-7E050F85C3EF.jpeg
 
Upvote 0
You will be fine rinse and put in new tank, enjoy. Do not overthink freakin rocks. They are not phosphate traps.

They can be since most people have the tank go to trash before they break it down and then leave the rocks to die and dry. Lots of things on /in those rocks have died and they are still sitting there.
Yes definitely cure the rocks first. I have the same rocks (dead reef rocks) which is the real deal as you that I bought from someone who had shutdown his tank a while ago.

I'm starting a new tank and wasn't really thinking if adding used rocks could go bad. So I just cleaned them, pressure washed them and just added them to my DT.

But now I have high phosphates and close to 8ppm ammonia spike in my tank. Tank's been running for a week (no fish) and still has ammonia.

Not sure how long now I will have to wait before all the nitrifying bacteria develops and consume those ammonia! And also to deal with phosphate with phosguard or something..
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new