Reusing old live rock, worth it?

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been out for years now and I'm probably going to be starting a new tank.

I've had a brute trash can full of rock from my old tank kept dry for several years now. Id of course like to save a bit of money and reuse it, I've read a few posts here about how best to go about that. I was hoping I might be able to just rinse it all off real good and then start cycling it ahead of time in that same trash can ...

I guess my question is, would it be worth the work? Tanks are expensive and I really don't want to battle with problems from reusing the old rock. but I'm also not in a hurry, haven't even decided on a tank (Spoiler it will probably be a 300xl), so if it's just a time and patience thing, I don't mind, I just don't want to regret it in a year.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reusing 100 lbs of rocks from my cichlids tank. That’s worth 500$ so I am happy I could keep it.

I looked for advice and it seemed soaking it in bleach and rinsing it was the way to go. I’ve tested it for phosphates (I had some in my previous tank) and there was none. Reusing the sand, on the other hand, was a big no-no for this exact reason.

I would definitely use the rocks you have.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reuse it …..

But to assure its clean is pressure wash , leave in the sun to dry . And add it back to the brute to cure and cycle .
mad mentioned above pick up a piece of live rock from a lfs or trusted friend to seed yours . But inspect for hitchhikers or pests .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the rock in question
D2B9F6B1-5207-41E7-B068-B60FE5FCC30C.jpeg

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my rock in the tank in my basement collecting dirt and bugs for 25 yrs, I rinsed it off and am using it today. You could add a piece of live rock to help expedite seeding or just use Fritz Zyme turbostart 900 and add fish. It's what I did, it will take longer than live rock to mature, but you will get there.

Upvote 0

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the rock in question
D2B9F6B1-5207-41E7-B068-B60FE5FCC30C.jpeg
Rock looks great. It's the real stuff. I have an appreciation for that type of rock now that everything is marco, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate for pillaging rock from the ocean. My own tank is all reef saver but I had a few pieces from the ocean from my first tank 5 years ago. If you don't end up using it, definitely don't throw it away!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShakerBreaker

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reusing 100 lbs of rocks from my cichlids tank. That’s worth 500$ so I am happy I could keep it.

I looked for advice and it seemed soaking it in bleach and rinsing it was the way to go. I’ve tested it for phosphates (I had some in my previous tank) and there was none. Reusing the sand, on the other hand, was a big no-no for this exact reason.

I would definitely use the rocks you have.
What was the bleach to water ratio you used?

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the bleach to water ratio you used?
I don’t really remember. I filled a big rubbermaid container with a lid outside and put all the 100 lbs of rocks in it. Filled it with enough water to cover the rocks plenty (maybe 30-40 gallons) from my hose and added bleach directly from the bottle (regular household bleach, no perfume). Maybe 30% of the bottle ?

I could definitely smell the bleach in the water, but it wasn’t an overwhelming smell. Within 24 hours the rocks had completely returned to their original color, a nice off-white for most.

I let it soak for a few days, then rinsed them and let them rest in freshwater. They’re still in their bin, as I haven’t been able to complete my project yet. But I’ll be working on them soon I hope. :)

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilute bleach 10:1 in water, tap is fine, and soak for about a week.

Make sure it's not splashless bleach or scented. Plain bleach only.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh god everyone tends to overthink and over analyze everything anyone writes in these forums.

I did about 60 pounds of old pukani. Put them in a 50G brute, filled it up about half way, dumped in a gallon of bleach. Let them sit for a few days, emptied brute, refilled with clean water(all of this is with tap water), let sit for a couple days. Rinsed twice, did a third rinse in prime.

Upvote 0

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine rinse and put in new tank, enjoy. Do not overthink freakin rocks. They are not phosphate traps.
They can be since most people have the tank go to trash before they break it down and then leave the rocks to die and dry. Lots of things on /in those rocks have died and they are still sitting there.

Upvote 0

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be since most people have the tank go to trash before they break it down and then leave the rocks to die and dry. Lots of things on /in those rocks have died and they are still sitting there.
Nothing a few water changes won't cure. Most people smart enough to clean the rock before reusing

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back