Review “New” Maxspect Cloud Edition XF350

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I couldn’t find any other information beyond advertising and product shills so I ordered a pair.

I was stuck between ordering 2, MP60’s for my build (oof) or buying another pair of Gyre XF350’s.

The old ones:

Why I like my XF350’s: They’re cheap. With one on each end of the tank they managed to get good flow across a 6’ tank. They have a better footprint vs Koralia/Tunze/Wav. They can be placed close to the surface.

Why I hate my XF350’s: They’re loud. They’re louder after you clean them. Cleaning them is a nightmare. Sometimes they go back together easily. Sometimes they throw off errors and lock up. Reassembly and installation after cleaning takes 5-300 minutes. The older controller + ICV6 was awful. I say “was” because after 3 failures of the controller or power brick, twice while I was walking out the door to the airport (I swear they knew), I gave up and went with a Hydros Wave Engine. They need to be cleaned. A lot. I don’t have a dirty tank but these would degrade in flow after a month. I had MP40’s encrusted in coralline that didn’t miss a beat. I keep replacement parts for all my equipment. the expectation shouldn’t be to have to replace the motor shaft every 3 months when it gets stripped. They did improve the design slightly at some point but the problem still persists. The magnets are just ok on 1/2” glass. Snails constantly throw it off.

So…here we go. More will follow when I get them wet in a week or two. I haven’t decided if I will run 4 at lower levels to keep noise down or run 2 and keep 2 as spares (not backup parts. See below on why)

When I reached out to BRS to ask if this was actually an improved design, the response was a generic “thank you for your question! The all new Gyre XF350 are a great product!!” Great. Hooray for capitalism.

My initial impressions are they’re very similar. It’s hard to say since they’re new but they do feel may be a bit better. The guards and impellers also feel sturdier and fit tighter into the red and green socket. This meant that attaching the guards was easier since the impellers are more secure.

The impellers now rotate in 2 places on each side instead of one. Turning and adjust is easy but I have confidence they’ll stay in place. I’m not sure this was a necessary feature but some may appreciate it. By having each in a different position you will limit force and as I’m now trying to push water 7 feet, it won’t be helpful.
The deflectors now move side to side via a clever little (but cheap) ratcheting mechanism. This will get moved by snails or break. I can feel it.

The pump housing appears to be sealed. I’m going to get told I’m wrong and I’m fine with that so long as there’s a video or link showing me how to remove the shaft from the middle of the unit. It appears to be clipped in place now/ the kind of clips that will snap without the proper tool. I forced as hard as I was willing and could not remove it. This would mean the part that needs replacement 4 times a year is now not replaceable. It also means spare parts are moot.

Im going to update my review once they’re wet but as of now, without more info on replacement parts, I’d stay far away from these. If anyone has information on replacement shafts and how that works, let me know. They *really* don’t look interchangeable with the old style.

F9829C5C-8197-4FAD-8A43-D70E94D9AE16.jpeg 4393FADE-6CC1-4B30-9440-016CD844D747.jpeg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Do you know what version of the older 350 you had? The original ones were difficult to get the motorblock apart to clean. Newer ones its easy and you just pop the magnet out by pushing. I like them for shallow frag tanks. I've replaced them all with the cloud version now. I like that the guard to keep air being sucked in dosen't fall off easily, also being able to adjust flow if 4 sections. But for my display I also run mp60's which run forever without having to clean them constantly and have more to get the length of the tank.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what version of the older 350 you had? The original ones were difficult to get the motorblock apart to clean. Newer ones its easy and you just pop the magnet out by pushing. I like them for shallow frag tanks. I've replaced them all with the cloud version now. I like that the guard to keep air being sucked in dosen't fall off easily, also being able to adjust flow if 4 sections. But for my display I also run mp60's which run forever without having to clean them constantly and have more to get the length of the tank.
On the “old” Gyre 350’s they changed the shaft to seal better. I have been using the “new” impeller design (that pushes in and seals better) for a while as I replace the impellers a lot and the old ones aren’t even available (I don’t think) anymore. These still strip but maybe slightly slower.

Im giving these a shot then going with 2 MP60’s if they aren’t great. I’ve used MP40’s and MP10’s but never MP60’s and once they’re wet I own them so I have some concerns.

Do you know how to take the new XF350 Cloud version apart? I couldn’t get the shaft out and it appears to be held in place with 4 plastic clips. If you can’t remove the shaft, they’re useless because it will strip eventually and these will be garbage. I’m going to probably return them if I can’t figure out how to open and service them.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been running an used pair of XF350 and agree with all pros and cons. Can't wait to see how you like the new one. I almost bought them when one of mine stopped working. But after assembling and disassembling it 3 times, it worked again. I struggle to find another pump that can move water 6 feet that's as flat as the Xf350. I run two of them vertically on one side of my peninsula tank.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been running a used pair of XF350 and agree with all pros and cons. Can't wait to see how you like the new one. I almost bought them when one of mine stopped working. But after assembling and disassembling it 3 times, it worked again. I struggle to find another pump that can move water 6 feet that's as flat as the Xf350. I run two of them vertically on one side of my peninsula tank.
I think at this hour if I can’t figure out how to take them apart and clean/replace the drive shaft reliably, I’m not keeping them. It’s not too late to send them back. I’m not spending $450 on a product with known issues that’s now sealed.

Can you post a pic? My tank is 7x24x24. It has the overflow on one side (like a peninsula…but not since it’s against a wall) and I was thinking about running the 2 of them vertically on the side opposite the overflow to minimize their appearance. Do you have a sand bed? If yes, does it kick up sand?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at this hour if I can’t figure out how to take them apart and clean/replace the drive shaft reliably, I’m not keeping them. It’s not too late to send them back. I’m not spending $450 on a product with known issues that’s now sealed.

Can you post a pic? My tank is 7x24x24. It has the overflow on one side (like a peninsula…but not since it’s against a wall) and I was thinking about running the 2 of them vertically on the side opposite the overflow to minimize their appearance. Do you have a sand bed? If yes, does it kick up sand?
I run them 100% constant and has to position them right below the water surface to not kick up sand.

You can barely see them since they match the overflow color
DSC_2544-01.jpeg

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them 100% constant and has to position them right below the water surface to not kick up sand.

You can barely see them since they match the overflow color
DSC_2544-01.jpeg
Ah. Very nice. I can’t see them, you’re right. I’m going to play with it but I like that a lot. I’m not sure it will reach 7’ to the other end but it looks great.

I was able to get at the drive shaft. You have to pop off the black cap. They used a large rubber washer in there to seal them. If it works, great. If it doesn’t, it will make them difficult to clean and replace.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I couldn’t find any other information beyond advertising and product shills so I ordered a pair.

I was stuck between ordering 2, MP60’s for my build (oof) or buying another pair of Gyre XF350’s.

The old ones:

Why I like my XF350’s: They’re cheap. With one on each end of the tank they managed to get good flow across a 6’ tank. They have a better footprint vs Koralia/Tunze/Wav. They can be placed close to the surface.

Why I hate my XF350’s: They’re loud. They’re louder after you clean them. Cleaning them is a nightmare. Sometimes they go back together easily. Sometimes they throw off errors and lock up. Reassembly and installation after cleaning takes 5-300 minutes. The older controller + ICV6 was awful. I say “was” because after 3 failures of the controller or power brick, twice while I was walking out the door to the airport (I swear they knew), I gave up and went with a Hydros Wave Engine. They need to be cleaned. A lot. I don’t have a dirty tank but these would degrade in flow after a month. I had MP40’s encrusted in coralline that didn’t miss a beat. I keep replacement parts for all my equipment. the expectation shouldn’t be to have to replace the motor shaft every 3 months when it gets stripped. They did improve the design slightly at some point but the problem still persists. The magnets are just ok on 1/2” glass. Snails constantly throw it off.

So…here we go. More will follow when I get them wet in a week or two. I haven’t decided if I will run 4 at lower levels to keep noise down or run 2 and keep 2 as spares (not backup parts. See below on why)

When I reached out to BRS to ask if this was actually an improved design, the response was a generic “thank you for your question! The all new Gyre XF350 are a great product!!” Great. Hooray for capitalism.

My initial impressions are they’re very similar. It’s hard to say since they’re new but they do feel may be a bit better. The guards and impellers also feel sturdier and fit tighter into the red and green socket. This meant that attaching the guards was easier since the impellers are more secure.

The impellers now rotate in 2 places on each side instead of one. Turning and adjust is easy but I have confidence they’ll stay in place. I’m not sure this was a necessary feature but some may appreciate it. By having each in a different position you will limit force and as I’m now trying to push water 7 feet, it won’t be helpful.
The deflectors now move side to side via a clever little (but cheap) ratcheting mechanism. This will get moved by snails or break. I can feel it.

The pump housing appears to be sealed. I’m going to get told I’m wrong and I’m fine with that so long as there’s a video or link showing me how to remove the shaft from the middle of the unit. It appears to be clipped in place now/ the kind of clips that will snap without the proper tool. I forced as hard as I was willing and could not remove it. This would mean the part that needs replacement 4 times a year is now not replaceable. It also means spare parts are moot.

Im going to update my review once they’re wet but as of now, without more info on replacement parts, I’d stay far away from these. If anyone has information on replacement shafts and how that works, let me know. They *really* don’t look interchangeable with the old style.

F9829C5C-8197-4FAD-8A43-D70E94D9AE16.jpeg 4393FADE-6CC1-4B30-9440-016CD844D747.jpeg
I was able to get the end cap off (on the red side) and remove the shaft. The red cap snaps off. They’ve added a large and aggressive rubber washer in there to further prevent the issue of the magnet on the drive shaft stripping. It’s obviously not me.

THE OLD GYRE XF350 DRIVE SHAFTS CANT BE COMPATIBLE AS THEY LOOK COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

C840DA39-06D6-4A7D-8736-933727A99FF6.jpeg

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get the end cap off (on the red side) and remove the shaft. The red cap snaps off. They’ve added a large and aggressive rubber washer in there to further prevent the issue of the magnet on the drive shaft stripping. It’s obviously not me.

THE OLD GYRE XF350 DRIVE SHAFTS CANT BE COMPATIBLE AS THEY LOOK COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

C840DA39-06D6-4A7D-8736-933727A99FF6.jpeg
Hey bud, appreciate the information you shared and wanted to follow up to see if you have any updates to share. Are you liking these pumps? Did you end up returning them for the mp40s?

I had the original 350s running forever without having to replace any parts, though I didn't clean them much either. I bought the new cloud version because I really like the directional flow options. I really wish they made those for all models cause this new controller, although so much easier to use is a total pain. I can't understand for the life of me why these companies can't just make something easy, straightforward and reliable.

Anyways, Im hoping you can provide some additional feedback on the pump reliability and if you've had any issues with the controller because I haven't put the pumps in the water yet. I'm hesitant to considering the issues I've had getting the controller to match the settings on the app and don't want them to hit water if Im going to return them.

Appreciate it!

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, appreciate the information you shared and wanted to follow up to see if you have any updates to share. Are you liking these pumps? Did you end up returning them for the mp40s?

I had the original 350s running forever without having to replace any parts, though I didn't clean them much either. I bought the new cloud version because I really like the directional flow options. I really wish they made those for all models cause this new controller, although so much easier to use is a total pain. I can't understand for the life of me why these companies can't just make something easy, straightforward and reliable.

Anyways, Im hoping you can provide some additional feedback on the pump reliability and if you've had any issues with the controller because I haven't put the pumps in the water yet. I'm hesitant to considering the issues I've had getting the controller to match the settings on the app and don't want them to hit water if Im going to return them.

Appreciate it!
I 100% will. They’re still in boxes right now. I was expecting my new display tank to be here by this weekend but it’s going a lot slower than I was quoted (Glasscages). Trying not to get frustrated by it but I ordered these in the hopes I could try them before the 30-day return window closed and it’s closing before my eyes.

There is not enough improvement (just visually) between the XF350 new vs old that would make me buy them over 2, MP40’s on a 4ft or shorter tank. My issue is that I was looking at 2, MP60’s vs 2, XF350’s and that’s a different story. MP40’s couldn’t push enough water to the center of my 6’x18x18 tank so they have 0 shot on a 7’x24x24.

Hopefully I get an update today or early next week. I don’t want to get them wet until I setup the new tank.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% will. They’re still in boxes right now. I was expecting my new display tank to be here by this weekend but it’s going a lot slower than I was quoted (Glasscages). Trying not to get frustrated by it but I ordered these in the hopes I could try them before the 30-day return window closed and it’s closing before my eyes.

There is not enough improvement (just visually) between the XF350 new vs old that would make me buy them over 2, MP40’s on a 4ft or shorter tank. My issue is that I was looking at 2, MP60’s vs 2, XF350’s and that’s a different story. MP40’s couldn’t push enough water to the center of my 6’x18x18 tank so they have 0 shot on a 7’x24x24.

Hopefully I get an update today or early next week. I don’t want to get them wet until I setup the new tank.

Appreciate it!
I should mention I won’t be using the XF350 cloud controller. I’ll be using a hydros wave engine.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that the new multi-direction flow deflectors would fit on the older model? I'm assuming they won't with all of the other changes, but I'm hoping someone can confirm. It would be nice to be able to do retrofit them to my current pumps rather than buying all new pumps.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, any update?

I’m looking to possibly replace my old XF350s.

Is the dry side magnet stronger than the previous version? My glass is 3/4” and they barely hang on…

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, any update?

I’m looking to possibly replace my old XF350s.

Is the dry side magnet stronger than the previous version? My glass is 3/4” and they barely hang on…
Hey. So my glass was/is just a little over 1/2” and fully grown turbo snails moved the XF350. The magnet on the “cloud” appears to be the same as the previous for what it’s worth. I can’t imagine them working on 3/4.

I have to admit these never got wet. They’re in a box in my dining room ready to be sent back. I just couldn’t. They did a better job sealing the drive shaft, the little deflectors are interesting but the L/R directional deflectors are gimmicky. It’s an improvement but not enough in design to be worthwhile.

We talked it over and decided to return them despite the 10% restocking fee. I got 2 MP60’s and they’re quieter, easier to use, more reliable, and push a great amount of water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back