revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did you do that killed your sps?

Dosed a ton of Vibrant, Reef Flux and ran GFO all at the same time. The algae was choking out the SPS already plus the soft corals so I took the drastic step. The soft corals are fine.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the setback I’m sure you will get it back towards the vision in your minds eye. One thing all reefers have in common every thread is it’s never a totally smooth ride but with friends and the right attitude we make it thru. Looking forward to seeing pics as it all comes back

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but I lost all of my SPS except some montipora. This last batch of hair algae and my plan to kill it also took out the sps I think. I'll be working to make it better again! I am just now finally rid of the algae.
#honestyinreefing coming from the captain himself. Sorry to hear the reef has had some setbacks. Hoping for smooth rides ahead sir.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm going to perform one more water change and then start adding again.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that chemical stuff is a deal changer for SPS. Have you considered an algae scrubber? I’ve been going the all natural route to outcompete algae. It works and is friendly to SPS.
I agree with an ATS if you don't already have one. They are much more efficient than a refugium or Chaeto reactor. I run them on all of my systems.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well long overdue update that isn't much of an update.

1. Algae is gone.

2. I am refocusing my tank to accommodate my lifestyle a little better.

3. I am really falling back in love with zoanthids and a flowing corals reefs tank. I am going to focus on growing out zoa colonies and picking up specific nicer soft corals and a few fatty lps corals. :)

I have rearranged my rock just a but to help accommodate these changes and I raised my Radions from about 11.5" to around 18" from the top of the water. The corals seem to be loving it!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome Rev! I think my tanks have always been at their best after taking some time to think about it and reaccess what is working for me and what is not.

Looking forward to some pictures of what you develop!

Thank you and I'm already more excited than I have been in a while.

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like what I'm planning on doing... Stick to the easier (softies) corals and a few lps that move in the current. Life gets to busy these days with work and kids. Sorry about your troubles... I've been there myself more than once. Good luck.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like what I'm planning on doing... Stick to the easier (softies) corals and a few lps that move in the current. Life gets to busy these days with work and kids. Sorry about your troubles... I've been there myself more than once. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement! Do you have a build thread?

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to some Zoa pics. No pressure but expect some nice pics from the man who started reef to reef for better zoa discussion way back when ;) I just set up cpl small zoa rocks in center my display but could always steal some ideas on colors placements etc.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know how you and other monster tank owners do it. (Q.O.T.D) It can take a half day to clean my 100 gallon system .
Last video I seen your tank was stunning

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well long overdue update that isn't much of an update.

1. Algae is gone.

2. I am refocusing my tank to accommodate my lifestyle a little better.

3. I am really falling back in love with zoanthids and a flowing corals reefs tank. I am going to focus on growing out zoa colonies and picking up specific nicer soft corals and a few fatty lps corals. :)

I have rearranged my rock just a but to help accommodate these changes and I raised my Radions from about 11.5" to around 18" from the top of the water. The corals seem to be loving it!
tenor.gif

I'm intrigued by zoas, they are gorgeous, but there are sooo many names. And some grow super fast, some super slow.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. I am really falling back in love with zoanthids and a flowing corals reefs tank. I am going to focus on growing out zoa colonies and picking up specific nicer soft corals and a few fatty lps corals.

Ahhhh... yes... the coral that gave birth to r2r. The zoanthid. Welcome back david... its good to have you :)

I saw how you have given up the news media and fb feeds.. and in result have found peace for your head in the "sand" :)

So now that you have found your way back to the roots, scrape that glass and lets see an FTS... SLACKER.

skiff21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don't get too excited! There isn't much of anything to show yet but I am planning this big tank and I need your help!

The wife and I have leased a house for the past 8 years and this Friday we will be owners of a new home. More importantly it has a huge finished basement with plenty of wall space and there is already an exterior area between the basement walls and the outside house walls. BIG spaces for a dedicated tank room behind the tank.

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS TO BECOME A REALITY SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN THE HOBBY!

This will be my first build of this size and I need your help to figure it all out.

Tank: The tank is a 400+ (finalizing sizes) @Planet Aquarium tank. The tank is 96" x 36" x 24" tall.

Before I get to any more details. What are some things I need to do to prepare for a tank this size?

I am thinking these are some things:

1. Install a floor drain
2. Install dedicated power box
3. Install ventilation
4. Waterline and Sink

What else?
may be worth having your own Ro water system downstairs

FishTankMafia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey revh loving your thread. Thanks for sharing. Hope to have one up soon.

Question: is the trim on your tank steel or hard plastic?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back