RFA breeding help

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to set up a 16g RFA breeding tank (22x16x12). I think I may have some help from another reefer here who has done a fair amount of fish breeding and lives within a couple of hours from me. I'm hoping I can rope him into doing a RFA breeding tank as well. Actually, he put this idea in my head at a frag swap a few weeks ago, so maybe it won't be too hard to accomplish! ;);Hilarious

So I want to start an open conversation here in this thread. And then those who want to be part of a more serious conversation via an open PM I can set up with as many reefers who have had RFAs breed in their tank as are willing to help. We can ask questions, share information and see that kind of solid anecdotal, or even semi-scientific data, we can come up with and verify with an actual breeding tank. If anybody else has or wants to create a breeding tank as well, you are welcome to join in. I'll share all that I know about RFAs for a scientific fact (very little), as well as what I think I know about RFAs that is just my experience or that I've heard from others.

As an introduction, here in this thread I'd like to hear about your experiences with RFAs:
1. How long have you had RFAs in your tank?
2. How many do you have?
3. How many times they have spawned?
4. Can you put dates (specific or in general) to when they spawned?

For info purposes my answers are:
1. Roughly 5 years since I bought my first few.
2. Now, 50+. I may have as few as 5, or as many as 15 that are big enough that in my opinion are big enough to be mature enough to breed.
3. 3 times. I've never seen the spawn or the birth events, just found new rounds of babies in the tank.
4. No, the best I can do is say the 3 rounds of new babies were found over about a 3 year period.

If you are interested in helping out, sharing info, please answer the above questions here. As soon as we have enough volunteers I'll set up an open conversation in PM form and we can go from there. But I'm happy to share any info here in the open form as well. The PM conversation will make more serious discussions about specific ideas easier to maintain.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various ages, some a several years old now, most are more recent.

I had some in a pico tank that spawned a good deal, then I moved them to a 33g, then to a waterbox 100.3 however I gave most away since they killed sps, but then I decided to give away the SPS and I liked the rock nems more, so now it's a rock nem tank!
2. How many do you have?
Bit over 100 adults, more babies.
I have not seen specific dates, I am unsure that I have seen when they spawned.
Afraid not.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years now, but they have been moved to different tanks several times.

2. How many do you have?
Currently only 5 remaining. I have sold most of them locally when I took down my large tank.

I only witnessed mine spawn one time. Very cool to catch one doing it.

April 12, 2019.
DD62E958-7D83-487D-890A-670B03CBDB90.jpeg
6D07282B-82E1-4837-BC79-A930B288DADE.jpeg
1B659ADE-E37F-42BE-83CB-1CE89009A0FD.jpeg
53B28BC3-4BDB-4196-9352-6BFF46D22522.jpeg

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years now, but they have been moved to different tanks several times.

2. How many do you have?
Currently only 5 remaining. I have sold most of them locally when I took down my large tank.

I only witnessed mine spawn one time. Very cool to catch one doing it.

April 12, 2019.

Very cool that you can put a date to it. One of the things I want to settle is how often they can spawn and what helps in that process. And of course it's always nice to have another Reef Squad member along to make sure I stay on the straight and narrow here! ;Hilarious;Hilarious

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little over 5 years.
2. How many do you have?
9, with 4 adults of 5-6"

5 that I know of for sure.
Dec. 6, 2017; May 20, 2018 are the only dates I can confirm because I took video those two times.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about 8 years, currently my stock is not quite 2 years old.
2. How many do you have?
7 adults, several babies
3 that I witnessed, didn’t see babies right way to
July 2019 was the first I saw, and witnessed it 2 more time between July and November 2019.

Vid

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@hart24601 @Dsnakes @saltyhog @Nburg - were the tanks where the RFAs spawned exposed to a window, skylight, or any other type of outdoor light during the period that they spawned?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hart24601 @Dsnakes @saltyhog @Nburg - were the tanks where the RFAs spawned exposed to a window, skylight, or any other type of outdoor light during the period that they spawned?
Mine received minimal indirect light in our living room when the blinds were open. Nothing significant though.

Main lighting was Kessil AP 700s with moonlight cycle on.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I intend to set up a 16g RFA breeding tank (22x16x12). I think I may have some help from another reefer here who has done a fair amount of fish breeding and lives within a couple of hours from me. I'm hoping I can rope him into doing a RFA breeding tank as well. Actually, he put this idea in my head at a frag swap a few weeks ago, so maybe it won't be too hard to accomplish! ;);Hilarious

So I want to start an open conversation here in this thread. And then those who want to be part of a more serious conversation via an open PM I can set up with as many reefers who have had RFAs breed in their tank as are willing to help. We can ask questions, share information and see that kind of solid anecdotal, or even semi-scientific data, we can come up with and verify with an actual breeding tank. If anybody else has or wants to create a breeding tank as well, you are welcome to join in. I'll share all that I know about RFAs for a scientific fact (very little), as well as what I think I know about RFAs that is just my experience or that I've heard from others.

As an introduction, here in this thread I'd like to hear about your experiences with RFAs:
2. How many do you have?

For info purposes my answers are:
1. Roughly 5 years since I bought my first few.
2. Now, 50+. I may have as few as 5, or as many as 15 that are big enough that in my opinion are big enough to be mature enough to breed.
3. 3 times. I've never seen the spawn or the birth events, just found new rounds of babies in the tank.
4. No, the best I can do is say the 3 rounds of new babies were found over about a 3 year period.

If you are interested in helping out, sharing info, please answer the above questions here. As soon as we have enough volunteers I'll set up an open conversation in PM form and we can go from there. But I'm happy to share any info here in the open form as well. The PM conversation will make more serious discussions about specific ideas easier to maintain.
I like this idea and would be game for trying it also.

I can summarize mine in a few words, stated with 6 two years ago, now have 23. Never seen them spawn, but see babies lol.

I have a drilled 30 breeder and and diy 20 long sump I could use, but have no idea on how to even begin setting it up for a breeding tank. I would think a skimmer would remove a ton of the “product” lol.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I

I like this idea and would be game for trying it also.

I can summarize mine in a few words, stated with 6 two years ago, now have 23. Never seen them spawn, but see babies lol.

I have a drilled 30 breeder and and diy 20 long sump I could use, but have no idea on how to even begin setting it up for a breeding tank. I would think a skimmer would remove a ton of the “product” lol.

Great question! As @Ron Reefman said, even though we know it happens there doesn't seem to be a much information on RFA (P. crucifer) reproduction in the formal literature, gray literature, or hobbyist space. I am leaning toward using a shallow tank with 1-2" of black aragonite sand, medium light, low flow (that can be ramped up occasionally), but at this point I think that any reasonable aquarium with open sand space is a good starting place.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question! As @Ron Reefman said, even though we know it happens there doesn't seem to be a much information on RFA (P. crucifer) reproduction in the formal literature, gray literature, or hobbyist space. I am leaning toward using a shallow tank with 1-2" of black aragonite sand, medium light, low flow (that can be ramped up occasionally), but at this point I think that any reasonable aquarium with open sand space is a good starting place.
I agree. Also the black sand is a great idea for easier locating of babies.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is on the wall opposite two large windows that face the north. There is some ambient light that reaches the tank but not a lot.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. About 2 years
2. 5 adults and 2 babies. One baby found yesterday and one about a year ago.
3. I guess twice though I’ve never seen it happen.
4. No but I seem to find the babies annually so far.

The one next to the birdnest (mom)has the babies emerge from underneath it. And the other 4 are about 5 inches away. I’ll add a couple pictures:) Any info on sexing these guys?

501743ED-D93F-401E-A61F-FD6323499CE1.jpeg 18821E08-24BD-4A88-BE35-9545670903F6.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine received minimal indirect light in our living room when the blinds were open. Nothing significant though.

Main lighting was Kessil AP 700s with moonlight cycle on.
My tank is on the wall opposite two large windows that face the north. There is some ambient light that reaches the tank but not a lot.

Colin Foord, among others, mentioned windows in the rooms where RFAs have breed and there is a line of thought that RFAs are limited to breeding only a couple of times a year, so I'm curious if there are any trends to support these two ideas. Of course, correlation does not necessarily mean causation. I would love to hear any ideas (even wild unsubstantiated theories) about possible breeding triggers for RFAs.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. About 2 years
2. 4 adults and 2 babies. One baby found yesterday and one about a year ago.
3. I guess twice though I’ve never seen it happen.
4. No but I seem to find the babies annually so far.

Good feedback - thank you! What size are the four adults in your tank?

Back