RFA looking pretty bad. Goner?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My once magnificent enormous green RFA decided to firmly plant itself in the very back of the tank where PAR isn't great. No idea why it didn't want to move. But it was inaccessible until recently when I found it had moved its foot to the outside of the rock and was able to massage it off. Now it is in the front of the tank with better light, but it has already shrunk to maybe 10% of its previous size and it looks like it's severely damaged around the mouth and half of its skirt--I am assuming this happened by moving around other stinging corals overnight.
Anyway, any hope left?
1710917119199.jpeg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the Borneman anemone next to it, is the aggressor. That is one nasty anemone.
No, that's a brand new spot for this nem. It was sitting next to an octospawn 5 min before this photo. I had to move it because the octospawn's sweepers were hitting the nem when the flow turns off (that octo has done major damage in the past to other nems/corals). I think that might be why the RFA's mouth and skirt are all torn up--that or it's just given up and is decomposing.

Bit sad as this used to be a magnificent, large RFA, easily twice the size of the RFAs next to it (>5 inches):
PXL_20230305_235757286.jpg

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My once magnificent enormous green RFA decided to firmly plant itself in the very back of the tank where PAR isn't great. No idea why it didn't want to move. But it was inaccessible until recently when I found it had moved its foot to the outside of the rock and was able to massage it off. Now it is in the front of the tank with better light, but it has already shrunk to maybe 10% of its previous size and it looks like it's severely damaged around the mouth and half of its skirt--I am assuming this happened by moving around other stinging corals overnight.
Anyway, any hope left?
1710917119199.jpeg
I would give time. Without any stinging neighbors and in adequate lighting, I expect it will come back. They seem pretty bulletproof to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back