RFA Show Off Thread!

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting RFAs soon and want to see some of yours! Big, small, colorful, colorless, It doesn't matter! Don't be afraid to come up here and show off your RFAs!!!

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine

CDBD73F4-C3A1-49FD-B469-B178C68A4884.jpeg

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! Love the orange! I hope when I get mine they breed!

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are amazing! I have a question though, has anybody had them bread? If so do you need anything specific? Also the main thing, when they do you feed the babies or not? If so, what? Sorry about the questions, I just want to know as much as I can about these. I think in this hobby they are quite a bit under rated.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup babies in that last pic above the mama. They really do require regular feeding with small particulate food items.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup babies in that last pic above the mama. They really do require regular feeding with small particulate food items.

What do you feed them? Also, do you feed once or twice a week like you would with the adults? One more thing, how are you supposed to feed babies when it is to hard to get food in there mouths because they were just born?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some babies between the orange face one and the rainbow one. There are 15 to 20 more scattered around the tank settling into my zoa colonies! The middle sized nems are kids from 10 and 24 months ago.

You can find a lot of good info on RFA care and feeding in the thread link below in my signature.

20190110_095041 R1.jpg

20190110_095035.jpg

Here is a FTS of my 40g cube.
20190110_095104 R1.jpg

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some babies between the orange face one and the rainbow one. There are 15 to 20 more scattered around the tank settling into my zoa colonies! The middle sized nems are kids from 10 and 24 months ago.

You can find a lot of good info on RFA care and feeding in the thread link below in my signature.

20190110_095041 R1.jpg

20190110_095035.jpg

Here is a FTS of my 40g cube.
20190110_095104 R1.jpg

Hi Ron! I was hoping you would post here! You're the pro at RFAs! Question, do you need to feed babies for survival? How do you go about doing it and what do you feed them?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are amazing! I have a question though, has anybody had them bread?

A lot of folks have. The biggest challenge is getting the offspring to survive.

If so do you need anything specific?

Good & stable water quality will cause them to spawn regularly.

Also the main thing, when they do you feed the babies or not? If so, what?

I prefer to feed mine and I use finer foods like reef roids for the very small ones, while larger individuals, I'll feed the smallest frozen mysis available on the market. I use long plastic pipets to feed them.

However, I have seen some do okay with out feeding as well.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks have. The biggest challenge is getting the offspring to survive.

Good & stable water quality will cause them to spawn regularly.

I prefer to feed mine and I use finer foods like reef roids for the very small ones, while larger individuals, I'll feed the smallest frozen mysis available on the market. I use long plastic pipets to feed them.

However, I have seen some do okay with out feeding as well.

Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron! I was hoping you would post here! You're the pro at RFAs! Question, do you need to feed babies for survival? How do you go about doing it and what do you feed them?

Hi WuzzoFish. I don't know about my being a pro with RFA's, there just my passion (for the time being). It's just my opinion and I have no sciece to back it up, but I think all of the really colorful RFAs that come from deeper water (30' or more) need to be fed some food. They just don't have the zooxanthellae to do photosynthesis that the shallow water RFAs do.

I fed my entire tank a wide mix of foods (all at one time). Some of it is very fine powder, some is coral food and some is just very small (like Reef Nutrition liquids). And I shut off pumps at least one feeding every week so food can settle onto the nems (big & small) as well as all my zoas. I mix my foods and some vitamins with some tank water in a beer mug and then feed it to the nems and tank with a turkey baster. I try to blow some at the tiny babies, but at this point they are all over the tank mixed in with the zoas.

And I think once the babies have landed and their foot takes hold, they are fairly hearty. I think the majority of baby losses are during the time they are floating around in the tank and the carnivores have at them. My first round of 10 babies survived a tank temp fall below 60F over night which killed every branching and plating sps and lps in my tank (like 80% of my corals at that time). I even used a small hole saw on a drill to cut out a couple of 'plugs' of live rock with one RFA on it while the entire rock was covered with zoas. And they all survived.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back