rhinopias in biocube?

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this a shot in the dark but want to see if anyone on here can tell me what they think of a species only 29 biocube with a single rhinopias as the inhabitant. my work has a deal on biocubes and thought it would be a great way to get a tank started for one. thanks in advance!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some rhinos can get pretty big. I've read up to about 9 inches.
I personally wouldn't do that, as a fish that size in a 29gal could create some serious nutrient issues.
If you like the idea of scorpions I would look into a leaf scorpion or a dwarf lion, but that would still be pushing it.
Sebastipistes cyanostigma are really cool fish and you could put a couple in a 29 gal. I always wanted to keep them, but they're always DOA at the LFS so I've never had a chance.
Hopefully someone else knows another scorp more suited to that size.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have a dwarf lion. wont get another one of those. Im gonna get one anyways but if he wont fit ill just put him in the 30 i have at home.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the upgrade.

That gave me a much needed laugh. Thank you for that!
Ice fish, I wouldn't put a rhino in less than a 75. I've never kept them, but from my experience with other predators I wouldn't keep them in a 29 or a 30. I reckon they'd produce excessive waste that a 30 couldn't handle.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the upgrade.
It would be seeing as a biocube isnt a true 29 gallons since they include the backing into the combined total. I know he would be ok in the 30 until either i got a nice 30-40 breeder for him or just kept him in there depending on how he seemed. Waste is a non issue. I have plenty of preds in my tanks and know how much waste they can make. a single rhino in a 30 with a good HOB and possible skimmer should suffice. Id probably do a planted macro tank for him as well so that would help with the extra nitrates.

ReefDweller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rhino in a 29 or even a 30 is a bad idea. I keep a few of these fish myself and they are bottom dwellers but they are also very active and eat like crazy, growing very fast.. both of mine reached 9 inches in 6 months and eat up to 4 dozen feeder fish a week each. Good luck with that in a 29....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back