Rhodactis Mushroom Not Splitting

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have a Sunkist Bounce Mushroom, that is quite a hefty size, it would fill the palm of my hand if I picked it up, the vendor who I bought it from, said it's about the size they split so really, it's a good deal, obviously I'm not going to get in there and force it to split, or cut it myself. But it just makes me question if something is off with my tank or if it's just unhappy as a whole.

I have a sand sifting goby that does what he wants, and sometimes, there is the odd grain of sand on the mushroom which I get off by picking it up and rotating it so it falls.

Any tips would be nice!

Thanks

NeSsyAqua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they just don't wanna split lol. If it is happy as your saying then I wouldn’t think there is anything wrong with your tank. If you really want it to split then just cut it, also sometimes when they get stress they tend to split. A pic of it would also help.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms are weird. I have some green metallic ones that pop babies every other day. I bought one green hairy mushroom and now I have 7 and i got one small Forrest fire and now i have 5. Then, I have a blue type of mushroom that I've had for over a year and Nothing. It just sits there and seems happy but does nothing, doesn't split, doesn't move and drop babies. Who knows?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really wish I could figure out the puzzle on making them split naturally. Most of the time if you place them out of light and make them want more and walk they will drop babies or foot will stretch enough away from base so you can cut it off and make your own.
Stress from acclimating to new tank will do it often.
Higher light can also make them split.
Some never split.
Really does just depend on alot of factors.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back