Rhomboid EMERGENCY

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'm seeing much of a serious issue here. I am thinking he swam into the side of the tank chasing food, which could have resulted in him being stunned to him possibly injuring his spine. But the fact that he is able to right himself and swim when he wants to makes me think it's not that bad.
Hes producing a ton of slime in the bucket
That's just because he's stressed and trying to produce a mucus cocoon.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'm seeing much of a serious issue here. I am thinking he swam into the side of the tank chasing food, which could have resulted in him being stunned to him possibly injuring his spine. But the fact that he is able to right himself and swim when he wants to makes me think it's not that bad.

That's just because he's stressed and trying to produce a mucus cocoon.

When he was in the tank he kept sinking straight down to the bottom.
Should I keep monitoring him in the bucket?
I turned the lights off so he doesn’t swim around too much. Breathing is pretty normal.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I keep monitoring him in the bucket?
I suppose it wouldn't hurt for now, but realize fish do tend to act "weird" in a bucket. Wrasses will play dead if they feel threatened while your watching them.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it wouldn't hurt for now, but realize fish do tend to act "weird" in a bucket. Wrasses will play dead if they feel threatened while your watching them.

Ill keep him in there for now then.
He corkscrews whenever he tries to swim.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, kind of sounds like a spinal injury.

Hopefully it’s nothing serious but make sure no ammonia harms the fish during all of this. Keeping in a bucket may not go well due to the ammonia.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it’s nothing serious but make sure no ammonia harms the fish during all of this. Keeping in a bucket may not go well due to the ammonia.

Keeping a close eye on temp and ammonia. Im changing small amounts of water regularly from the display.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else I can do for him right now?
Im trying not to bother him too much in order to reduce stress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'm seeing much of a serious issue here.

Hopefully not
I’d rather overreact than leave him in the tank since he was getting blown all over the rock work.

Thanks for everyone’s help!
Ill keep y’all updated.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like a spinal injury... probably darted into something and stunned himself :( Do you have an acclimation box? If so..I’d put him in that, in the main tank. I’m not sure I’d leave him in the bucket for too long.

I had a male flame wrasse in a previous tank. I was messing around in the tank and he got spooked and swam right into the rocks. I saw it happen, he was immediately stiff... couldn’t swim at all. And passed away within an hour or two.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like a spinal injury... probably darted into something and stunned himself :( Do you have an acclimation box? If so..I’d put him in that, in the main tank. I’m not sure I’d leave him in the bucket for too long.

I had a male flame wrasse in a previous tank. I was messing around in the tank and he got spooked and swam right into the rocks. I saw it happen, he was immediately stiff... couldn’t swim at all. And passed away within an hour or two.

I have a fish trap I can put him in. Would that work?
Hes been laying in the same spot for a while now and not looking so good.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish trap I can put him in. Would that work?
Hes been laying in the same spot for a while now and not looking so good.

Personally id probably let him go in the dt and turn the lights off for a day or 2. Let him feel comfortable where he already has before. Hes small enough that if he does pass he would barely effect the nutrient levels. And will allow the least amount of stress.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to read this.

I have a Labout's Fairy wrasse in QT that has developed this spinal paraplegia syndrome. No injury witnessed, but it's a small tank, so probably. At first he ate but has followed the usual course of increasing disability, and now he also has swim bladder dysfunction. I'll probably euthanize him tomorrow barring divine intervention. :(

And there's a Pintail Fairy wrasse that managed to get through QT, did great at first in the DT but then got badly scared when I was doing some maintenance one day and now rarely comes out of his little refuge, only for meals basically.

I wish Fairy Wrasses weren't so amazingly beautiful, then I wouldn't keep trying to keep them.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to read this.

I have a Labout's Fairy wrasse in QT that has developed this spinal paraplegia syndrome. No injury witnessed, but it's a small tank, so probably. At first he ate but has followed the usual course of increasing disability, and now he also has swim bladder dysfunction. I'll probably euthanize him tomorrow barring divine intervention. :(

And there's a Pintail Fairy wrasse that managed to get through QT, did great at first in the DT but then got badly scared when I was doing some maintenance one day and now rarely comes out of his little refuge, only for meals basically.

I wish Fairy Wrasses weren't so amazingly beautiful, then I wouldn't keep trying to keep them.

Dang, that sucks.
They sure are clumsy. But thats a part of the reason why I love them haha.

I honestly dont think hes gonna make it. Hes in the fish trap right now and im thinking I might let him out.
Hes laying on his side breathing rather heavily. Every now and then he’ll dart around the box like crazy.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new in the past 2 months.
Dang, that sucks.
They sure are clumsy. But thats a part of the reason why I love them haha.

I honestly dont think hes gonna make it. Hes in the fish trap right now and im thinking I might let him out.
Hes laying on his side breathing rather heavily. Every now and then he’ll dart around the box like crazy.

If he’s banging around in the box I’d let him out rather than let him exacerbate the existing injury.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back