Rhomboid swim bladder?

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if I have got the dreaded swim bladder issue. Ordered a rhomboid from LA 3 weeks ago, been in qt and eating and doing well. last night I notice that it was more hovering vertically. It can swim around and go up and down but isn’t going horizontal much. Tried the boiled peeled peas but it wasn’t interested.

Here is a video- what options do I really have? The lancing thing doesn’t seem to last long as a solution esp if this is a result of bad decompression right?

Any one have other suggestions? I have treated win Prazi without issue.

I need to figure out how to post the videos

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That swimming behavior is indicative of a spinal injury, not swim bladder disease. If it were the swim bladder, the fish would be head down. For spinal injuries, waiting it out is the only course of action. Sometimes they recover, sometimes they don't. :(

If the fish continues to eat and can catch food, prognosis is good.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem with my Rhomboid, ordered from 3 LA exactly 3 weeks ago...

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now mine is able to move and eat, and coloration looks good. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Anyone have a way to put a wrasse into traction [emoji16]

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be getting worse, but can still move around and able to eat- though has a hard time judging where the food is now. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets and it starts to recover, worries though that any downturn from initial injury is not a good sign.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still able to move and eat (though has more trouble) and mosy is upside down- but can definitely control its buoyancy

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's behaving as yours lol. I dosed GC yesterday for internal worms (white stringy poo) and that's pretty much I can do to help. All of the sudden...

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am really hoping the fish starts to bounce back, it is now almost exclusively on its back.It can go down and up without issue, and can occassionally flip over to chase some food, but it is just awful looking. It is definitely having difficulty eating in terms of being able to properly judge the food location.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is now just laying on the bottom, breathing looks hard, not fast but hard. I think it's a goner

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Unfortunately, it happened after the 14 days live guarantee

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is correct- i got the fish on the 30th, and it was doing well until the 18th.

I am still curious about this being a spinal injury. I don't think it is a swim bladder issue as it can still control its buoyancy for the most part (sleeps on the bottom, but swims to the top etc), but it is progressive, i.e. the first day he just seems to swim more in a vertical manner, and then slowly starts swimming more and more until it is now flipped upside down. I would have thought that a spinal injury would not be so progressive.

So if anyone has any other potential ideas, i am game for them.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am glad t hear that the progressive aspect is not new. I just hope we have hit rock bottom and that a recovery can start soon.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back