Rhomboid swim bladder?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been puzzled why the injury is progressive and not acute. Perhaps someone more familiar with fish biology will chime in. IME that's exactly how a spinal injury plays out, though.

A spinal cord inflammation which may or may not be related to an injury would generally be progressive in nature. I'm not familiar of much research in the field with the exception of a few studies looking into regenerative characteristics of some fish species.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A spinal cord inflammation which may or may not be related to an injury would generally be progressive in nature. I'm not familiar of much research in the field with the exception of a few studies looking into regenerative characteristics of some fish species.

That makes sense. Not an actual lesion on the spinal cord per se, but compressed nerves due to inflammation. This would explain why some fish are able to recover. I know @eatbreakfast has observed recovery in 2 out of 3 fish in general.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anything that can help with inflammation in the aquatic world? i imagine dosing ibuprofen won't be helpful

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anything that can help with inflammation in the aquatic world? i imagine dosing ibuprofen won't be helpful

Unfortunately, as said before nothing but time for fish. Hope it pulls through!
Very few options for people too and only following a successful diagnosis...

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish took a definite downturn- unable to eat now and floats on the top upside down with little ability to move at all. I am likely to euthanize soon.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear that! Sometimes we can’t do anything :(

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other advice out there? I also believe my Female Spotbreast Angel is swimming head up a bit in QT. just got him today shipped over night. I'm hoping he's just stressed. Anyone else seen a new arrival swimming head up tail down like at a 30 degree angle?

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other advice out there? I also believe my Female Spotbreast Angel is swimming head up a bit in QT. just got him today shipped over night. I'm hoping he's just stressed. Anyone else seen a new arrival swimming head up tail down like at a 30 degree angle?

Likely stress behavior, given the fish is in a new environment after being shipped. I'd give the fish time to settle in before trying to assess behavior.

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Spotbreast....
Still swimming weird but eats so I don't know what to do . It's been 5 days. Could be spinal issue or swim bladder issue. Any ideas?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Spotbreast....
Still swimming weird but eats so I don't know what to do . It's been 5 days. Could be spinal issue or swim bladder issue. Any ideas?

They are a deepwater angel, so improper decompression (gas bubble forming in the swim bladder) could be the problem. Does the head point up or down when swimming??

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a spinal issue. As previously described, in swim bladder issues fish is swims upside down Struggling to maintain itself in water.

Any other symptoms you see? Scratches/wounds, fin damage or anything out of the ordinary?

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head pointing up 30 degree angle slightly tilted sideways, body in perfect condition. Almost seems to nip at the surface like trying to breath air a lot.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head pointing up 30 degree angle slightly tilted sideways, body in perfect condition. Almost seems to nip at the surface like trying to breath air a lot.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a spinal injury. Which sometimes a fish will recover from, sometimes not. :(

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a suprising update- i did NOT euthanize the fish as i thought i saw a sign of life. I then went on vacation with instructions to keep feeding. I came back, and it is still mostly upside down, but can dive now, and still alive and moving a bit. I think i see it eating when i feed it. (I am essentially saturating her area with food). So...not dead yet, which means still potentially recoverable i hope.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen, after a spinal injury, the fish seems to expend a lot of energy stabilizing and going after food (if it can even catch any). I always figured it got worse as the fish burned more and more energy just to swim and couldn't really rest or eat. Eventually they just lie down on the bottom...

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a suprising update- i did NOT euthanize the fish as i thought i saw a sign of life. I then went on vacation with instructions to keep feeding. I came back, and it is still mostly upside down, but can dive now, and still alive and moving a bit. I think i see it eating when i feed it. (I am essentially saturating her area with food). So...not dead yet, which means still potentially recoverable i hope.

Good news, keep us posted!

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fish spends most of the time upside down and at the surface (corner) when startled it will dive down and then "spin" as in swim in fast circles. Not sure if this is good or bad. Apparently eating, but doesn't chase food, i essentially drip the food almost into its mouth.

OP
OP
L

linus.chan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree. What do folks think about in terms of euthanizing? It doesn't seem to be getting better, and i don't want to prolong pain. It has been 2 weeks now and i was hoping to see some progress, but in reality i don't think there has been.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back