Rhomboid Wrasse acclimation

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a rhomboid this afternoon (1pm) and started acclimating him an hour later. I temp acclimated for 15 min and dripped for another hour. When I first put him in the acclimation box, he wedged himself in the corner of a piece of pvc and went upside down. I turned the lights off and left him alone until I came home at 10pm and saw that he uprighted himself to normal, but is still breathing pretty fast. Is this normal for the heavy breathing with these wrasses for so long? I haven't had a fish whos breathing was still labored for so many hours after acclimation.
Ph is 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 4
S.G 1.026
He doesn't look stressed and is wedged like a normal wrasse, but his breathing just hasnt slowed. Should I be concerned at this point or.just give the little guy some time? Thanks

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal. He should be fine by tomorrow. I just went through this with 4 wrasses in the last 2 months.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't make it... No idea why he would have died less than 12 hours after getting him
What was the salinity of the tank he come from, or the bag he was in?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity in the bag was 1.018.
Unfortunately, there's the issue - salinity shock. A jump up of 0.008 in an hour is pretty big.
A general rule erring on the safe side is moving up only 0.002 per day. Best done in a QT tank, matching the salinity of the inbound water at the start.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there's the issue - salinity shock. A jump up of 0.008 in an hour is pretty big.
A general rule erring on the safe side is moving up only 0.002 per day. Best done in a QT tank, matching the salinity of the inbound water at the start.
Okay, I'll make a at for him that matches the salinity. I have a 10 gallon tank not being used for anyhring right now. What is the best way to setup the tank without going through a cycle?

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll make a at for him that matches the salinity. I have a 10 gallon tank not being used for anyhring right now. What is the best way to setup the tank without going through a cycle?
Get a hang on back filter add fresh saltwater heater and a small piece of live rock from your tank to the HOB. Let it run for 24hr and your good
That is what I have done for all my fish. You can even add a cupful of so fritz or dr Tim's bacteria in a bottle

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use something from your DT to "seed" the QT as suggested above - a small piece of rock or even a piece of filter pad that has been in your sump for several weeks prior.
You can also setup a fresh tank and simply manage water quality by doing weekly large water changes. There's less margin for error here, but either way works providing your paying it attention.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back