Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Podcast? Didn't know he did one.

Give a listen if you have the time and let me know what you think. Thanks!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any longer videos of your tank, perhaps where you go through livestock? I've read and watched many of your talks, but don't recall seeing anything focused on your home tank. At least on the animals and not how it runs.

It might just be because you don't really get a clear view of this in your clip, but it caught my eye. What is this? The white not the denros :

whatisthis.jpg

Even seeing a short clip of your reef is exciting. I love all the NPS and how you have acros inches away from them, the fish selection and of course the clams and everything else too.

thanks! That is some blue xenia. I'll try to get some shots for you. Feel free to poke me about it if I seem to forget!

U

User1

View Badges

Actually, let me go grab a cup of coffee and I will. Thank you!.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all gorgeous, absolutley gorgeous!
Looking at your reef makes me want to see it before everything grew out, see the scape and how its all laid out.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges

I liked 62% of it ;)

Just kidding. Actually, I enjoyed it and you two have good chemistry. To be honest what I liked the best was the restoration talk. I usually just ignore these topics because most people are not able to remove their personal bias and the talk gets no where. What stood out was the bit about if it makes sense to continue restoring corals to areas that are not thriving and the philanthropist money.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty crazy. Beautiful coral though and I am sure some of your local reefers will jump at the chance to snag a frag.
On separate note I love the SKIMMATE podcast! Left you two a FB message today!
Cheers!!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty crazy. Beautiful coral though and I am sure some of your local reefers will jump at the chance to snag a frag.
On separate note I love the SKIMMATE podcast! Left you two a FB message today!
Cheers!!
Thanks so much! We (well I, Fugazzi is a slacker) responded this morning. Really, thanks!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the time change, I caught sunlight hitting my tank. Long ago, I thought it might be responsible for issues and used to put cardboard up to block it at certain times of the year. Now I think I doesn't impact much and don't do anything about it.

IMG_5521.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
With the time change, I caught sunlight hitting my tank. Long ago, I thought it might be responsible for issues and used to put cardboard up to block it at certain times of the year. Now I think I doesn't impact much and don't do anything about it.

IMG_5521.jpg

I have a similar situation whereas my display is right next to a window so can get early morning sunlight. Being only 19 or so months into its maturity (upgrade) I saw the algae and random issue during the first 6 months or so. During this time I'd have to keep the blinds closed until mid-day but now it seems perfectly fine to be open any time of the day. Could be the fish, clean up crew, or just that it can manage sun on its own.

I enjoy it personally with sun only since it gives the tank a different perspective and color representation. Synthetic lighting be it bulb, led, whatever, gives it a different look and feel. By the way - photo and glass look really clear and provide detail. Looks nice to include the aquascape and growth / age formation.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_5521.jpg
Agreed. I get a tiny bit more algae at times on the side that gets hit by sun, but other than that, no issue.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5521.jpg
million dollar question is, if the sun was hitting your tank did you notice any temperature change in the water. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5521.jpg

I get direct sunlight on my tank toward the end of the day in the summer. Some of the fish in the tank really seem to groove on it. Stuck a par meter in once when this was happening and measured about 1500 a few inches away from the front glass.

If for some reason I've left the curtain in front of the sump open, when the sun hits my refugium the pH of the system will skyrocket - enough to trigger a warning from my Apex. Never correlated this with any ill effects but I do usually close the curtain :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back