Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot from yesterday. Kinda cleaned the glass. NPS half awake. Guess the phosphate

2024_Feb_FTSIMG_8485.jpg
Where are all of your dinos???

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Rich,

How often do you feed your dendros and others? What type of food? They always look very happy.

I get lazy at times and don't feed often enough plus my Desjardini tang steals the food.........very frustrating.

You have any food contraption you use?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rich,

How often do you feed your dendros and others? What type of food? They always look very happy.

I get lazy at times and don't feed often enough plus my Desjardini tang steals the food.........very frustrating.

You have any food contraption you use?
I have an avast marine plank feeder, but just the auger, over a DIy water fed auto feeder. So, the corals get fed flake and other foods a few times a day. I like to direct feed as often as I can, but sometimes I don't for weeks.

i would not recommend skipping direct feedings like this until the corals are acclimated to the system and opening regularly.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha... I share your thoughts on phosphates.

I tested mine last week and were off the charts of the hanna low range phosphate tester.

Knowing that and looking at my take you'd think it would be covered in algae...

Here it is from this morning.
20240215_093119.jpg

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Rich, your tank looks better than ever! I remember the in-wall thread from back in the Reefs.org days. Some of those corals are probably older than some of the folks reading the site!;)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tester are you using?

Home test kit is Hanna. I forget which version, sorry. It flashes 200 at me which I believe is .6 ppm? Every three months, or there abouts, I send off a ICP sample (ATI). I don't really do much with the results but I like the data to look at trends.

I don't know how accurate ATI's results are but that is the number I gave above. I have a pretty good data set and can see how it climbed over time then my attempt to manage it via phosphate Rx or GFO then bounce back up. So I'm pretty sure of the results.

At one point I thought maybe I could trick Hanna's test kit by adding 5 ml of tank water, 5 ml of RODI, then test but it still flashed 200. I don't know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back