Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

U

User1

View Badges
PO4 down to 1.7, nitrate about 50 (vinegar ran out, so in a week or two I'll test again).

What are you trying to get it down to?

I thought I recall a slide in your talk that showed it both low and high and the tank was doing very well regardless of which side of the teeter totter that numbers showed.

Edit; I think my P04 was over 1 and nitrates 80 something but I believe that is to my tank still maturing with the pukani rock only being a year old. I used nopox to get both down over time and now at .18 P04 and nitrates 3 - 5 ppm. I can see my phosphate increasing though so I'm guessing the pukani is still leaching it...

Edit 2: if my tank looked as good as yours I probably wouldn't care :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She got promoted, head of security at Backwoods Lab

20181007_150032-1.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that PIO has fallen out of favor for various reasons including its artificial origin. The term people like is Peruvian Hairless, or PPSP - Pero Peruviano Sin Pello.
when I think of Peru I think of Peruvian food. I think ceviche originated from there. I'm hungry now.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to get it down to?

Don't know the answer to that. I wanted to explore some stuff around lowering it slowly and if there are changes, and around the idea of sequestered PO4 - is it real and can it be exported (looks like it can).

I thought I recall a slide in your talk that showed it both low and high and the tank was doing very well regardless of which side of the teeter totter that numbers showed.

Yeah I am a dummy and decided to muck with a good thing.

Edit; I think my P04 was over 1 and nitrates 80 something but I believe that is to my tank still maturing with the pukani rock only being a year old. I used nopox to get both down over time and now at .18 P04 and nitrates 3 - 5 ppm. I can see my phosphate increasing though so I'm guessing the pukani is still leaching it...

Edit 2: if my tank looked as good as yours I probably wouldn't care :)

Thanks! Yeah I am silly. But, I want to see if there is an really easy way to lower both, and so, does it make any kind of difference that I can see. :D

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've done most treatments. I've used lanthanum chloride(PO4), but I noticed a reduction in pods. Has anyone else?

One of my children of the sea, her name is chichi
Like KiKi(keekee), people get your mind outta the gutter.:)

20190618_070729 (1).jpg

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Getting ready for macna so here is video of the tank for my presentatation:

Last tests at the beginning of August, P04 .2, NO3- 37, Alk 8.5

Looks great. Quick question - are those orange sun polyps? If so I have been considering them for a shaded area I have in the tank. It looks like yours are doing perfectly fine out in the open. If they are something different what is the name if you don't mind me asking.

Hope all goes well at Macna. Looking to catch your presentation once it gets released since I'm not able to attend.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Beautiful! Reef is looking great @Thales!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Quick question - are those orange sun polyps? If so I have been considering them for a shaded area I have in the tank. It looks like yours are doing perfectly fine out in the open. If they are something different what is the name if you don't mind me asking.

Hope all goes well at Macna. Looking to catch your presentation once it gets released since I'm not able to attend.

Thanks! Some of those are tubestrea and some are dendros. Flow is important for these

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are there any longer videos of your tank, perhaps where you go through livestock? I've read and watched many of your talks, but don't recall seeing anything focused on your home tank. At least on the animals and not how it runs.

It might just be because you don't really get a clear view of this in your clip, but it caught my eye. What is this? The white not the denros :

whatisthis.jpg

Even seeing a short clip of your reef is exciting. I love all the NPS and how you have acros inches away from them, the fish selection and of course the clams and everything else too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A Living beauty

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back