OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question goes out to everyone viewing this forum. I'm looking to upgrade my lights for the holidays and need some input as to what type of lighting and fixture I should use. I currently have two 250 watt Phoenix 14K DE Metal Halides running on a dual PFO magnetic ballast. The reflector dimensions for the MH is 6"x2.5". I supplement with four 65 watt actinic Power Compacts. I like Pwhitby's (October Tank of the Month) T-5 tank and may even think about switching to T-5's but currently I'm thinking about buying two Lumenarc III mini stealth reflectors or two Coral Vue Lumen Bright reflectors. I will stick to the two 14K Phoenix DE bulbs and buy individual reflectors for the PS bulbs. I am up for any changes and suggestions. I'm worried that the Lumenarc and Lumen bright reflectors are too wide and will leave hot spots of light over my tank. Any input?

You can see how small the MH reflectors are. The whole light is 14" wide and the UV protection glass is 6" wide. 6" of light trying to cover a 24" wide tank!?!? I need to upgrade fast!

newlights.jpg

light1.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome bro!!

May I ask how you keep your tank so clear? The water is crystal! Is your tank low iron glass?

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome bro!!

May I ask how you keep your tank so clear? The water is crystal! Is your tank low iron glass?

Nope, I have a standard 120 Gallon Perfecto Reef Ready tank. I run carbon from time to time but as long as I scrub the algae off the glass it looks crystal clear.

AussieLordfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got one SICK tank! Beautiful pics as well! What camera and lens are you using if you don't mind?

blide

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who made your tank? I like that it only has a single overflow... :)

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Granulosa
Granulosa03.jpg

Acropora Tenuis is on the left and the ORA Roscoe's is on the right. A piece broke off the original ORA frag and now it has started to encrust.
TenuisandRoscoes.jpg

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I wanted to update everyone about my tank. I was away for a week and when I came home I noticed two of my acropora's started to RTN. I fragged the one (Green Granulosa) and hope it will survive. My Purple Tri-Color turned brown which really makes me mad! I hope everything can recover within a few months.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back