Right RODI system from county water report?

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to choose the right RODI system based off the county's water report? Here is the county info and also the town info:

Screenshot_20200412-151654_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200412-152231_Chrome.jpg

I am looking to get a BRS system, assuming they come back in stock. Haha. I have a pressure gauge on the way, but that is probably less important.

If this isn't enough, I can buy a TDS meter.

I appreciate any feedback.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see chloramines, but see chlorine. That means to me that a standard unit would likely work. Hopefully others will chime in. I am a spectrapure fan. I’m guessing you could have spectrapure help you as well.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see chloramines, but see chlorine. That means to me that a standard unit would likely work. Hopefully others will chime in. I am a spectrapure fan. I’m guessing you could have spectrapure help you as well.

I see BRS a lot around everywhere and they seem to have upgrade kits in case I want to add anything down the road.

I have checked Spectra a few times and get lost on their page. Since you have experience, are they easy to add to / have options to upgrade?

I appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I did got a pressure reading on my water. Looks to be about 56-58 psi. It dropped at one point to ~54, not sure why.
The "water saver"of BRS RODIs recommend a PSI of 65-80.
I was hoping for the reduced waste version (1.5:1 rather than 3:1), but not sure what lower pressure means to the system.

With this information in the thread, would you suggest I get the 75 gpd 5 Stage Premium Plus (one of the few in stock)? Or another model?

(Other information that may be useful. Current tank is 29g. I am gathering equipment for ~100g tank)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure units are just as easy to upgrade and change as the BRS units, they are all the same standard 10" housings and are interchangeable. If you're looking at the water saver versions you're going to need more pressure than that to run them unfortunately. I run mine around 87 PSI and the second membrane only gets about 45 PSI which is barely functional.

The 5 stage 75 GPD is a great option to start out with and will work out well for you even in the long run.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure units are just as easy to upgrade and change as the BRS units, they are all the same standard 10" housings and are interchangeable. If you're looking at the water saver versions you're going to need more pressure than that to run them unfortunately. I run mine around 87 PSI and the second membrane only gets about 45 PSI which is barely functional.

The 5 stage 75 GPD is a great option to start out with and will work out well for you even in the long run.

Is this the equivalent to the 5 Stage BRS ones?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the equivalent to the 5 Stage BRS ones?

I would actually consider that a step up from the BRS version. It comes with two TDS membranes, dual DI stages with there maxcap DI resin setups which (not from personal experience but from others) tend to last a little longer overall due to the way the resin is setup.

However the BRS version does come with dual carbon blocks which is nice as well. I only run one myself and a triple DI stage. Obviously you can add a second carbon stage to the maxcap or a second di stage to the BRS system relatively easily.

OP
OP
Hasted

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so glad i came across your post. i will now look into my city / county water quality report to help choose the correct rodi unit. thank you!!!

I believe a TDS meter will also be useful, but I do not have one available to me. I have also read the cheap ones are not reliable. Not sure if this helps or hurts, but wanted to mention it.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your tap TDS? I was able to get a cheeper unit 4 stage because my tap TDS was at 32

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a TDS meter will also be useful, but I do not have one available to me. I have also read the cheap ones are not reliable. Not sure if this helps or hurts, but wanted to mention it.

Hop onto Amazon and grab yourself a cheap handheld TDS meter, You want one that’s labeled TDS-3 as it’s temperature compensated for more accuracy. With knowledge of your source water TDS, you can determine what system is best for you. For example, if you have very high source water TDS, a dual membrane set up may not be the most efficient option for you.

When determining what’s the best RODI system, you need a few basic bits of information...

1) Source water TDS
2) Chlorine or Chloramine
3) Water pressure
4) City or well water

You already know 3 out of 4 so...

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back