"Right Sizing" Return Lines for 800gph Marine Modular Overflow

FirstTimer101

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2022
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I'll be using a Marine Modular 800gph Overflow (already purchased) on my 40G Breeder Reef Tank which will flow into a 20L sump.

The Overflow will be plumbed in a bean animal format...all leveraging 1/2 in drains. I have a Varios 2 Pump that I'll be using for my return.

Should I simply use a 1/2 return line and keep all plumbing uniform? As 1/2 is already small...there's no room to scale it down for the return line plumbing (as I understand is common to do). Is there any benefit of scaling up on my return line diameter?

Thanks in advance for your help. Its my first tank...and got a lot to learn.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new