right tool for the job

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both an oscillating tool and a Sawzall. which would be the right one to flatten rocks off for future gluing?

The rocks will be wet, so I will expect a level of caking if that has any bearing.

thanks, and rock on, pun intended.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sawzall saws all, but I’m not sure what blade option would be best.

The oscillator may have issues getting a flat edge. As the nature of them causing massive vibrations could cause the rocks to fracture. Not really sure though as I’ve not tried either of these tools.

The one time I did, I used a wet saw for tile. It worked well, but the size of the rock you can cut is pretty limited.

If doing it again, I would want a diamond coated band saw. But ya know, use what ya got.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a circular saw with a diamond bit for flattening Marco, had a spray bottle with water that I used to hit the blade with between cuts to keep it from getting scorching hot. You will need some sort of diamond coating on whatever you decide

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would start with the oscillating tool..... wear safety goggles no matter which you try..... trust me when I say pieces of rock in your eye isn't fun
thanks.
I'm naturally four-eyed, but can kick that up to 6 when needed.

The sawzall saws all, but I’m not sure what blade option would be best.

The oscillator may have issues getting a flat edge. As the nature of them causing massive vibrations could cause the rocks to fracture. Not really sure though as I’ve not tried either of these tools.

The one time I did, I used a wet saw for tile. It worked well, but the size of the rock you can cut is pretty limited.

If doing it again, I would want a diamond coated band saw. But ya know, use what ya got.
I'd use a tile saw if I had one, but not worth renting or buying for me. I think the sawzall would be rougher but faster.
I have used a circular saw with a diamond bit for flattening Marco, had a spray bottle with water that I used to hit the blade with between cuts to keep it from getting scorching hot. You will need some sort of diamond coating on whatever you decide
got a skill saw, but am worried it would gum up. also there's a safety issue there...

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Grinder with a diamond grinding head?

1708401181359.png

eddie murphy hercules GIF

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
follow-up, do I need them flat, or will a hammer work?
Actually sawing them flat will allow the rock to be more stable as a base but cutting them flat also stops / reduces the flow so more detritus gets trapped under them. Might not be an issue if you have sand but I run bare bottom. When I did cut some rock it was dry so I used a diamond blade in my table saw. It was very dusty and probably not something I would do if I had a high end table saw but mine is cheap. I just use a hammer and chisel now.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
follow-up, do I need them flat, or will a hammer work?
I tend to use a hammer, then glue smaller pieces together and just aim to get as many contact points as possible. Then add epoxy for additional strength.

I try to start with rocks that are already flattened to some degree. But as long as your base feels stable it is fine. The downside is you have to be careful moving the rocks around as the structures grow. Because you can fracture these contact points if you are not careful.

But flat is not necessary. Just makes a good starting point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back