Rimless Humidity Control!!!

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 240 gallon rimless aquarium that plan setting up.(8x2x2) with a large 50 gallon sump below. It will be on a reinforced crawlspace and an exterior wall.  I am getting close for it to be ready, however, want to make sure I dot every I and cross every T. Today I woke up thinking about humidity. Lol.

I was looking at installing a exhaust fan that will duct into the Sump area and out of the home. However, being a rimless tank I’m concerned if it’s actually going to do that much to help with humidity. 

I know I could do a dehumidifier or a HVAC based system. However, I am trying to be as energy efficient as possible.  anyone have any thoughts, concerns, or general opinions on this topic? 

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not have to worry about it. I'm one state over. House is a ranch and I have 3 tanks all open top. Footprints are 30x20, 36x22, 72x24 the two smaller ones have sumps the 180 has a sump in the basement. I just keep the house open unless it gets hot (hot to me is interior temp of about 76f) then I turn the ac on. AC helps with humidity and also keeps the tanks from getting too warm. When the windows are open it is whatever the air is.
I run a dehumidifier 24 /7 in the basement.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a 240 gallon rimless aquarium that plan setting up.(8x2x2) with a large 50 gallon sump below. It will be on a reinforced crawlspace and an exterior wall.  I am getting close for it to be ready, however, want to make sure I dot every I and cross every T. Today I woke up thinking about humidity. Lol.

I was looking at installing a exhaust fan that will duct into the Sump area and out of the home. However, being a rimless tank I’m concerned if it’s actually going to do that much to help with humidity. 

I know I could do a dehumidifier or a HVAC based system. However, I am trying to be as energy efficient as possible.  anyone have any thoughts, concerns, or general opinions on this topic? 
Most dehumidifiers run only when the humid is above a certain level - which you can set. Often times in the winter, the humidity is low anyway - so usually its summer thats an issue

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running into humidity issues lately. During summer, everything was fine because the doors and windows were open most of the time. But now that temperatures are dropping, they are permanently closed. The house ventilation system can't seem to handle the humidity (was actually getting a little mould stains on the windows! :anxious-face-with-sweat::astonished-face:

So now, I'm running a portable dehumidifier at night in our living room and it's pulling out a 10L bucket full a night!
Looks like I'll get away with running it 2-3 nights a week.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...why I dont like rimless..all my tanks have glass covers to control evap...boo hoo to all the nay -sayers ..it works

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...why I dont like rimless..all my tanks have glass covers to control evap...boo hoo to all the nay -sayers ..it works
To me the esthetics are worth it because the tank is in the living room. Running the dehumidifier in winter is fine for me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me the esthetics are worth it because the tank is in the living room. Running the dehumidifier in winter is fine for me.
If there is a way - I might try to run a tube from the back of your dehumidifier down to a sink so that you don't have to empty it all the time. in the winter here it is actually quite dry - having the tank means that our humidifier does not need to run.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a way - I might try to run a tube from the back of your dehumidifier down to a sink so that you don't have to empty it all the time. in the winter here it is actually quite dry - having the tank means that our humidifier does not need to run.
I think it's only needed during a brief window in the fall. When the temperatures drop but it's very wet outside. That'll last for maybe a month and a half. After that it should get cold and dry. I don't have a drain in the living room so we'll see how it goes. If it continues to be an issue, I'll install a built in unit that drains outside. But I doubt it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back