Rimless Reef 3.0

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Sunny is back and we are in for a treat! I've followed your tanks over the years and have also learnt a lot from your threads and posts. I recall 100's of questions being asked by people and you would always answer. Anyway, cant wait for this tank to be loaded up with corals and look stunning! :)

Higgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

These colonies grew from frags I bought from you years ago Sunny. I live in Michigan - you can have some big frags of your originals if you'd like! (I just took these photos today)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to see your sump, as well as your dosing schedule. I remember you always had really simple systems, but were big into carbon and bacterial dosing with your earlier systems.

Hello,

Yes my sumps and plumbing are very simple. I use a standard 20L glass aquarium for a sump, with no baffles or any other modifications. The tank is plumbed with Flex PVC. The Deltec skimmer is external. It feeds and deposits back into the sump. I can get you a picture of the sump tomorrow.

I have run bacteria and carbon dosed systems in the past. This system will have some form of carbon/bacteria dosing, to what extent I am still not sure. I plan on using some Prodibio products such as Reefbooster. Carbon dosing has done wonders for my systems but isn't right for every application. Its too easy to over dose on carbon and you need a heavy amount of livestock in order to maintain a proper balance. Most thing that you are striving for extremely low nutrients when nothing could be further from the truth. I used carbon dosing so that I could dose heavy amounts of food and nutrients into my systems and not face the consequences of algae, etc. I don't dose much of anything but Reefbooster and heavy livestock did wonders for my SPS growth. The corals were constantly fed and the remaining nutrients were quickly exported. Where many go wrong is that they carbon dose without adding back an equal amount of nutrients.

With this system being on the small side I only dose a small amount of Vodka/bacteria. I wont have a large amount of livestock and apart from Reefbooster I don't want spend excess dollars on amino acids and lipids. The system to follow this one will be an In-wall reef. I don't have an exact date on when I will have it setup but I'm thinking perhaps this fall. Lets call this smaller setup a "test" to see how well I handle it given my schedule, health, and three rambunctious sons. :D

Sweet! I'm finally revamping my 90 gallon to a 120 deep with Ghost Overflow. So how long between tank restarts on your systems? I've waited 10 years but the tank is over 16 years old since I had to move and I think it's time just to be safe on the silicone life.

Well, the new tank isnt one of my previous setups. If your tank has been dry for 10 years then I would have a local tank builder strip and reseal the tank.

Tagging along for build. Question how many gallons was 2.0? 3.0?

The in-wall was 225gl
RR1 100gl
RR2 246gl

www.ReefSite.com for more information. :D

Why the move from T5s to halides?

Hello,

I have plenty of MH ballasts, reflectors, and bulbs sitting around. I do have a 36" ATI Sunpower that would be perfect over this reef but it needs new fans, hanging kit, and bulbs. Halides and T5 both work well and I plan to keep MH over this particular reef; for now.

I have been interested in LED tech for quite sometime. I dont have a reason to switch to LED as MH and T5 work very well, but I am curious. What I am curious to know is are LED's to blame for SPS coloration issues or is it down to user error? I dont claim to be an authority on coral care but I do have a good eye for SPS growth and color.

Right now, all things being equal, I'd go with T5 over any other light form.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a Cherub Dwarf Angelfish(Centropyge argi). It's been about 20 years since I last had a Dwarf Angel. Since that time I've kept mainly Tangs and Anthias. I've heard good things about the Cherub so hopefully it won't nip at the corals when added. I shot this video on my Samsung Note 5. My DSLR and Macro Lens are having issues photographing the reef. I think that perhaps the fresh sand and rockwork is so white that it's throwing the camera off. I'll be happy in a few more weeks when the tank isnt glowing white, lol. The tank cycled well and I'm very impressed with Dr Tims "One and Only" . Enjoy!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far above the tank are you running your MH fixture. I am about to put one over a 40B I have, and am trying to figure out a good distance. Mine is a little different from yours. It is a lumen max 3 DE reflector.

Dang, he is a little fellow. He has allot of growing to do before he can decimate your coral population. LOL

Have you tried just playing around with some manual camera settings. That could take care of the issues of the auto exposure going crazy, if you are willing to play around with it some.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far above the tank are you running your MH fixture. I am about to put one over a 40B I have, and am trying to figure out a good distance. Mine is a little different from yours. It is a lumen max 3 DE reflector.

Dang, he is a little fellow. He has allot of growing to do before he can decimate your coral population. LOL
The reflector is 8" from the rim of the tank to the bottom of the reflector. This has given me a good even spread over the entire reef.

And yes, the Cherub is tiny. He's the smallest fish I've ever had. He eats like a pig though. I wish I had established rock for him to pick but for now he eats flakes, pellets, and seaweed.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run any type of quarantine tank?
Hello,

In the past I would qt corals. I would cut the corals and toss the plugs/base so that I wouldn't introduce any nuisance algae or pests. Over the past 20+ I've never qt'd fish. Other than a harem of anthias I have purchased every fish I have ever owned from the same LFS. The LFS does a great job keeping the fish healthy and won't sell a sick fish. I strictly fed a diet of flakes and spectrum pellets and never had an issue with ice, lateral line, or any other diseases for that matter.

I currently do not have a qt setup but will be getting corals only from a select few trusted sources.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Back Sonny.
I am sure this one will turn into a beauty too.

------------------------
Shiladitya Biswas

Thank you, my friend. :D

Welcome back Sunny!

I have had great luck with the Cherub Pygmy not nipping on my SPS corals in multiple set ups. Can't wait to watch the new reef grow!

That is great to hear. Hopefully ample feedings will dissuade her from picking at my corals. Only time will tell. Thanks for following along.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back