Rimless tank overflow height?

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about finished with a new build. It's a 45 gallon rimless cube. I had the back of the tank drilled and installed a CPR aquatics overflow. Tonight I did my leak test on the plumbing by running the system for the first time with fresh water. I'm concerned that I need to remove the overflow and silicone it back on lower in the tank. It is currently mounted level with the top of the tank and the water level during normal operation is about a 1/2" below the top of the tank. It has me way too uneasy about splashing and overflowing. This is my first rimless tank so maybe I am overeacting. For others out here with rimless tanks did you place your overflow at the very top or did you place it a little bit lower?

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elos is at very top.
So were my last two rimless manufacturers.
Just make sure your drain / return ratio is proper.

It looks good to me.

OP
OP
TJflip44

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested for that. It's a herbie style overflow so there is an emergency drain. It got fairly close to the top during the test. But I can lower the inlet to the emergency drain to help with that. I'm just worried about splashing and things like that. Maybe it's just an adjustment to a rimless tank

Fishmantim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon rimless with a ghost overflow and the water level is about 1/2 from top just setting up makes me real nervous if I let it run for an hour or so should I be good by then should everything level out sumps in basement tanks in living room

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about finished with a new build. It's a 45 gallon rimless cube. I had the back of the tank drilled and installed a CPR aquatics overflow. Tonight I did my leak test on the plumbing by running the system for the first time with fresh water. I'm concerned that I need to remove the overflow and silicone it back on lower in the tank. It is currently mounted level with the top of the tank and the water level during normal operation is about a 1/2" below the top of the tank. It has me way too uneasy about splashing and overflowing. This is my first rimless tank so maybe I am overeacting. For others out here with rimless tanks did you place your overflow at the very top or did you place it a little bit lower?

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

If it were me and had the option I would lower the overflow. I have a DSA105 rimless and the water level is about 3/4" from the edge. With return pumps and 2 MP40's running, the water comes very close to the edge at times. I also have trouble doing spot maintenance (ie stirring sand, scrub the rocks, etc.) without the occasional spill. If you ever go with a screen/lid you may not want to recess it below the glass level as the screen would constantly get wet and build up salt creek. I really wanted to get an Artfully Acrylic lid but went with a DIY that sits on top of the rim because I don't think I would have enough margin if it were recessed....

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it looks strange for a rimless and I wouldn't personally bother resiliconing. If it's not a big deal to you then I would make it however you like. My SCA is at the same water height and I only have spills from moving my arms around too vigorously in the tank or with a mag float. It's not been a real constant issue that would warrant an overhaul like that for myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJflip44

TJflip44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. I will have to think about what I want to do with the overflow. I think I will probably leave it as is. I will have some time to think about it since my return plumbing/manifold started leaking very slowly. Looks like I'll be building a new one.

mkj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the point of a rimless is to have water closer to the top. Would look funny if it was more than an inch bellow. Only reason to lower is large current that creates large waves. If water isn't going over the edge from waves then you are good to go. 1/2 inch seems perfect level to me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back