Rinsing Carbon - tap water?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I replace the carbon in my reactor I’ve been rinsing it with RODI to clear out the dust before use in the tank to clear the dust out. I’ve been using RODI so I chloramines in my water don’t delete the carbon.

Is this excessive for the few gallons I flush through? Is tap water OK to flush carbon or should I continue to use RODI?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I replace the carbon in my reactor I’ve been rinsing it with RODI to clear out the dust before use in the tank to clear the dust out. I’ve been using RODI so I chloramines in my water don’t delete the carbon.

Is this excessive for the few gallons I flush through? Is tap water OK to flush carbon or should I continue to use RODI?
I’ve always just used tap water (30 ish years). But many use RODI.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For more than a decade when I used to use bags, I always rinsed it under tap water, and didn’t notice any change in effectiveness.

When I switched over to use reactors, I found it simpler for me to just run it right through my system into a bucket during a water change.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tap water is all I've ever used for my reactors and when I flush the carbon blocks in my rodi unit when I change them out.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For more than a decade when I used to use bags, I always rinsed it under tap water, and didn’t notice any change in effectiveness.

When I switched over to use reactors, I found it simpler for me to just run it right through my system into a bucket during a water change.
I do similar. When I'm gonna do a water change, I replace the carbon and gfo, let the reactor hoses dangle in the sink and run until clear.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back