Rinsing Carbon - tap water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PotatoPig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2023
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
1,466
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I replace the carbon in my reactor I’ve been rinsing it with RODI to clear out the dust before use in the tank to clear the dust out. I’ve been using RODI so I chloramines in my water don’t delete the carbon.

Is this excessive for the few gallons I flush through? Is tap water OK to flush carbon or should I continue to use RODI?
 
When I replace the carbon in my reactor I’ve been rinsing it with RODI to clear out the dust before use in the tank to clear the dust out. I’ve been using RODI so I chloramines in my water don’t delete the carbon.

Is this excessive for the few gallons I flush through? Is tap water OK to flush carbon or should I continue to use RODI?
I’ve always just used tap water (30 ish years). But many use RODI.
 
For more than a decade when I used to use bags, I always rinsed it under tap water, and didn’t notice any change in effectiveness.

When I switched over to use reactors, I found it simpler for me to just run it right through my system into a bucket during a water change.
 
Tap water is all I've ever used for my reactors and when I flush the carbon blocks in my rodi unit when I change them out.
 
For more than a decade when I used to use bags, I always rinsed it under tap water, and didn’t notice any change in effectiveness.

When I switched over to use reactors, I found it simpler for me to just run it right through my system into a bucket during a water change.
I do similar. When I'm gonna do a water change, I replace the carbon and gfo, let the reactor hoses dangle in the sink and run until clear.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new