Rinsing dry sand and rock with tap water?

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is rinsing dry marco rock and dry caribsea special grade reef sand in a bucket with tap water ok? I want to try to get as much dust off as possible but doing a bunch of rinses with rodi water is inconvenient for someone like me who lives in an apartment and doesn't have more than 10 gallons of rodi stored away at a time.

I'm thinking of using tub water to rinse as much fine particles off as possible and just soaking the sand in rodi to do a final rinse before throwing it in the new tank

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this multiple times, used a hose in my case, with city water... no side effects. The amount of water left after you drain it is so minuscule it’s not a contamination issue IMO.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure, we built a thirty page thread on tap water rinsing being free, unlimited, cloudless prep and final rinse in ro for the win

on living reefs lol not just beginning ones. We do this to 15 year old sandbeds, and put them back clean, and skip the reassembly cycle. If we were rinsing sandbeds full of muck in ro or saltwater, they’d run out halfway, input sand partially rinsed which still clouds, and it would kill half the tank by the next day. When dealing with aged systems we rinse the rocks in saltwater, they’re often coated in corals

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back