RIP CLEAN has begun….

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 12 gallon nanos corraline algae problem is a full on disaster so after recovering from being sick for 10 days I’m at it. Everyone is in the bucket for now. I’ll keep everyone posted. Biggest reasons is the obvious out of control corraline, my desire to reduce the amount and size of my rock work (it was creating “turbo flow” zones….nano pumps are hard to find…) and the desire to clean the sand bed. Will keep you updated. Hope to have it back together by Thursday. Til then, it’s the tub life.

A2C614D9-29B8-42A8-B416-83DDA6F69521.jpeg CE9C9C74-CE7B-499B-A226-7B96B9456E05.jpeg CEC88A2F-10F4-435F-B432-C98E0B0CE40B.jpeg 0B0EDCBE-F214-4209-ABCC-0DB81ED8AE01.jpeg B3D3595A-6293-42ED-855E-BA3B2C153653.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't necessarily see a coralline algae problem; I do see some issues with tank maintenance. I can't tell if your tank is glass or acrylic (assuming the latter), but acrylic is harder to keep clean.

If you're going to strip the tank down to clean, fill it with hot water and add some EzeClean. Let it sit for 3-4 hours before scrubbing, let soak, then scrub again. Then thoroughly rinse and wipe the tank out.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coralline is like trimming a well earned man beard I hope you sleep well after scraping it

:)

I couldn’t grow that much coralline if paid. It’ll shine though after the rip clean, I’ve been waiting four months to see your tank done / this will beat dinos in it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is the reason for such fine crusting above

supplements, or light, or salt mix ?

once the sand is tap rinsed back to perfection that re assembled reef will shine like it just got back from the dentist

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is the reason for such fine crusting above

supplements, or light, or salt mix ?

once the sand is tap rinsed back to perfection that re assembled reef will shine like it just got back from the dentist
Well, like you said I battled dinos a couple months back (late summer) and for WHATEVER REASON, that's what out-competed the dinos....? I really have no idea. All that coralline on the front glass happened in about 6-8 weeks. September to early October. Haven't changed salts, not really a "supplement" guy, the lighting schedule has stayed consistent, beyond a 3 day blackout....it was always on the back wall pretty good, but it just exploded. Honestly the only thing that's been a little high is my phosphates...after dinos I just kinda let it settle out to around 1.0-1.2 and stopped trying to "hit numbers" on this tank. Due to the amount of rock in there it was near impossible for me to get at it without causing destruction. Definitely going to keep maintenance in mind this arrangement. The filter AIO still SMELLS like dinos even though there's little to no visible issues, but I have seen small bubbles forming to my untrained eye looked like the CO2 exchange that dinos often have so that's what sparked my motivation. The corraline wasn't an issue per say, as everything was doing pretty well (euphyllia split, coral growth, etc.). I may turn into a corraline farmer....we'll see. Wanna buy some black magic in a bottle? Only 49.95! :p

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't necessarily see a coralline algae problem; I do see some issues with tank maintenance. I can't tell if your tank is glass or acrylic (assuming the latter), but acrylic is harder to keep clean.

If you're going to strip the tank down to clean, fill it with hot water and add some EzeClean. Let it sit for 3-4 hours before scrubbing, let soak, then scrub again. Then thoroughly rinse and wipe the tank out.
It's glass, definitely guilty of being lazy. Life and business got ahead of me for awhile...this tank is in my office at work. Most occurred in under 2 months though, honestly it felt like I turned around and BAM. EVERYWHERE. I posted on here a couple weeks back asking about it, so I'm certainly taking my time here...lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glass test a sample when you think it’s ready

scoop/ in lemonade glass/ add tap water see if truly cloudless from side view / handy trick for the cleanest of resets

its how we avoid the federal crime of under rinsing

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First rinse, might gag….smells like dead crustaceans and day old seafood
CLEAN YOUR SAND PEOPLE.
This is why I spent good money on my cleaning crew (they clean the sand so I don't have to). 40 or so nassarius, 20 cerith, 2 sand sifting starfish and 4 black sea cucumbers keep my tank mostly white for the most part.

As I probably hate tank maintenance as much as you do (possibly more), here's the best investment you will ever make. Don't balk at the price - just get it and the stainless steel blades. I have a 160-gallon display. With the larger (strong+) magnet it takes me 5-minutes to clean (no exaggeration).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those animals are inputting whole waste pellets into the sand, as detritus they aren’t active enough to eject their own waste

you need a diamond goby/ or cousin for true self cleaning

slow moving slugs and cuc members contribute to waste loading shown above only something busy does the reverse

that doesn’t mean it’s harmful though, many systems are ok with higher cloud loading in the sand but at least the rip cleaned system is open for full business, with clean substrates we can pack in more direct feeding to corals and make use of the clean spots to pack them in with waste from the renewed feeding run. Post rip clean can be used to pack on notable coral mass due to systems open and hungry vs packed up / any more feed tips the scales into invasion.

Ive seen a few goby systems run so clean it looked hand-earned for sure they did busy jobs all.day.long

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post all your parameters, some people are dying for one speck of coralline in their tank. :)
Lol….

usually Alk between 9-10
Salinity 1.025 + kalk in the ATO
PH usually 8.2-8.3, I do not test at night though
Phos - 1.0-1.2
Nitrates - 15ish
Ca- 420-450
Mg- 1200-1250

it exploded about 6 months into this tank and post a dino battle. ‍♂️

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I spent good money on my cleaning crew (they clean the sand so I don't have to). 40 or so nassarius, 20 cerith, 2 sand sifting starfish and 4 black sea cucumbers keep my tank mostly white for the most part.

As I probably hate tank maintenance as much as you do (possibly more), here's the best investment you will ever make. Don't balk at the price - just get it and the stainless steel blades. I have a 160-gallon display. With the larger (strong+) magnet it takes me 5-minutes to clean (no exaggeration).

Thank you! Will buy today!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can we see post reassembly pics

Id classify this is merely a moderate cliffhanger among 5000 foot vertical drop cliffhangers heh

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! The extended super clean mode. Itll hold nicely till then in surgery, heck of a rip clean can’t wait

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the new $600 one

:) I saw an AI prime do magical things in a reef tank recently

her system grew frags ten times faster than my kessils and tiny fishbowl do lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back