Rip clean time

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing a rip clean this weekend. Im going to remove my rocks and sand and rinse the sand until the waste water is clear and I'll use a knife tip on the rocks to get rid of bryopsis and gha and rinse in saltwater and use 3% hydrogen peroxide on it too
I had a question though, do i completely refill the tank from the beginning? Should i pour out all the water in the dt and sump? Its 80 gallons total. Wouldn't i need to cycle all over again, and re adjust parameters from the beginning?
I've been again the tank for 2 years so i could pipefish in another 2 and now i have to start all over again?
And I'm super worried about what to do with my fish and snails in the mean time while I'm cleaning this weekend. Do i find a spare tank on fb marketplace or sth and fill it with tank water?
I need help @brandon429 and others .

IMG_20230110_201530826.jpg IMG_20230110_201616892_HDR.jpg IMG_20230110_201655982.jpg IMG_20230110_201625237_HDR.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i pour out all the water in the dt and sump? Its 80 gallons total. Wouldn't i need to cycle all over again, and re adjust parameters from the beginning?
I know you have a couple other threads about your current situation, and this may or may not answer your question, but...
Water contains very little nitrifying bacteria. Replacing part or all of the tank water with new saltwater will not result in an uncycled tank. Your rock and other media are where the "cycling" bacteria live.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have a couple other threads about your current situation, and this may or may not answer your question, but...
Water contains very little nitrifying bacteria. Replacing part or all of the tank water with new saltwater will not result in an uncycled tank. Your rock and other media are where the "cycling" bacteria live.
I've been looking for some indication on how the day progressed, and thus far I don't think he has surfaced to post. I hope it goes well. :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing a rip clean this weekend. Im going to remove my rocks and sand and rinse the sand until the waste water is clear and I'll use a knife tip on the rocks to get rid of bryopsis and gha and rinse in saltwater and use 3% hydrogen peroxide on it too
I had a question though, do i completely refill the tank from the beginning? Should i pour out all the water in the dt and sump? Its 80 gallons total. Wouldn't i need to cycle all over again, and re adjust parameters from the beginning?
I've been again the tank for 2 years so i could pipefish in another 2 and now i have to start all over again?
And I'm super worried about what to do with my fish and snails in the mean time while I'm cleaning this weekend. Do i find a spare tank on fb marketplace or sth and fill it with tank water?
I need help @brandon429 and others .

IMG_20230110_201530826.jpg IMG_20230110_201616892_HDR.jpg IMG_20230110_201655982.jpg IMG_20230110_201625237_HDR.jpg
I'd suggest you do a bit more planning then just deciding to do it this weekend.

I'm resetting a 15g nano this weekend and have been planning for a couple of weeks.

My animals are going to a 15 gal spare tank which is running with some stolen biomedia from my 75 gal. So it's precycled.

The animals will probably be there for a few days so I don't have to rush cleaning all the equipment which is getting a bleach treatment.

Rock is getting a full on scrubbing and then a good spray with H2O2.

I'm replacing the substrate to get rid any bound phosphates.

Good luck, I'm halfway through at the mo.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back