Rising Nitrates

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm new to reef chemistry... And I'm pretty sure this is my first question outside of the newbie forum, so bear with me.

I had rising phosphates and Nitrates with algae gone wild and my protein skimmer was out of order because the plumbing arrangement wouldn't allow it to function. To remedy that, I just bleached and recycled most of my live rock, added bio-spira to repopulate the rock, reworked the plumbing, did a 30% water change, and cleaned everything in the sump. Water flow is better than ever. Phosphates are down to .5ppm but Nitrates are only going up.

10/19 - 40 ppm after doing all of the above
11/1 - 80 ppm today after 2 weeks of skimmer running

What do I need to be doing to tweak this? I'm trying to stabilize to get coral back in my tank in the future.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
CharlieAsh

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll look up carbon dosing since water change doesn't seem to be a long term solution.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm new to reef chemistry... And I'm pretty sure this is my first question outside of the newbie forum, so bear with me.

I had rising phosphates and Nitrates with algae gone wild and my protein skimmer was out of order because the plumbing arrangement wouldn't allow it to function. To remedy that, I just bleached and recycled most of my live rock, added bio-spira to repopulate the rock, reworked the plumbing, did a 30% water change, and cleaned everything in the sump. Water flow is better than ever. Phosphates are down to .5ppm but Nitrates are only going up.

10/19 - 40 ppm after doing all of the above
11/1 - 80 ppm today after 2 weeks of skimmer running

What do I need to be doing to tweak this? I'm trying to stabilize to get coral back in my tank in the future.
Are you sure nitrite Is zero? It can interfere with the nitrate test.

OP
OP
CharlieAsh

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure nitrite Is zero? It can interfere with the nitrate test.
I don't have a nitrite test. I will look into it further, but I'm pretty overwhelmed with trying to grasp this, is there a summary of how that works?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a nitrite test. I will look into it further, but I'm pretty overwhelmed with trying to grasp this, is there a summary of how that works?
When you bleached your rocks and introduced the BioSpira bacteria, the number of ammonia oxidizing bacteria may have exceeded the ones that convert nitrite to nitrate. This might be causing nitrite to be greater than zero.

The presence of nitrite in a nitrate test makes it look like you have a high concentration of nitrate. This happens because a nitrate test converts nitrate to nitrite which then reacts to form the pink or orange colored compound.

OP
OP
CharlieAsh

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you bleached your rocks and introduced the BioSpira bacteria, the number of ammonia oxidizing bacteria may have exceeded the ones that convert nitrite to nitrate. This might be causing nitrite to be greater than zero.

The presence of nitrite in a nitrate test makes it look like you have a high concentration of nitrate. This happens because a nitrate test converts nitrate to nitrite which then reacts to form the pink or orange colored compound.
Gotcha. And I am assuming they are handled differently?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matter of time before?

Before nitrites go down to zero or near zeri....at which point you can test nitrates and get a relatively accurate reading. If they are already zero and nitrates that high then the suggestions above are all good(carbon dose, refugium)

OP
OP
CharlieAsh

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before nitrites go down to zero or near zeri....at which point you can test nitrates and get a relatively accurate reading. If they are already zero and nitrates that high then the suggestions above are all good(carbon dose, refugium)
Thank you! I think I love and hate reefs because there is so much to learn and it can be difficult to know where to start... Or when to get concerned.

Back