OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was successful at 1000mg/night for 10 days in 184g system. Uv and intense light deplete Cipro Quickly.
Thanks for the first hand! My lights are very intense and I'm stuck between its a good thing it's processed out and bad. Good because great i want it gone eventually. But bad because it might not be active for the contact time needed.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for my own sanity, I'm going to run a heavy dose of cipro through the whole system this week just to know I did it. I just super fear dinos coming back if cipro has any negative affect at this dose on the good bacteria.

I always dose bacteria daily with my cipro to be safe.
I feel like constantly dosing your display with an antibiotic is asking to develop resistant strains of bacteria. Can't be good for the overall biome of the tank.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like constantly dosing your display with an antibiotic is asking to develop resistant strains of bacteria. Can't be good for the overall biome of the tank.
I extra extra agree with this. I try not to do it often and I honestly have done it at such low dose I doubt it's been effective at all.

But agree about resistance, that's been on my mind ever since people started really pushing cipro for torches. That topic is actually being looked into, I seen some posts of this on the euyphylla freaks fourm

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I extra extra agree with this. I try not to do it often and I honestly have done it at such low dose I doubt it's been effective at all.

But agree about resistance, that's been on my mind ever since people started really pushing cipro for torches. That topic is actually being looked into, I seen some posts of this on the euyphylla freaks fourm
Micro doses are probably the worst when it comes to developing resistance, as it won't kill bacteria even if they have already developed a slight resistance, let alone the wild-type bacteria, meaning they can proliferate and mutate quicker to spread that gene/plasmid.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the first hand! My lights are very intense and I'm stuck between its a good thing it's processed out and bad. Good because great i want it gone eventually. But bad because it might not be active for the contact time needed.
I consider the night time and early morning first inflation to really be the treatment time.

Lighting and UV burn a lot off in the day. I still tapered towards the end to account for cumulative buildup.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest treating the next one from day one, no matter how good it looks. I think you said you dosed 250 mg/gallon, but maybe that was a typo? It should be 250 mg per 5 gallons. That much cipro would likely kill the anemone as antibiotics do seem a bit stressful on the anemone (they will often bleach to some extent). If you haven't already, read the sticky on treating anemones with cipro as it is a proven method. 100% water change every 12-24 hours. As much flow as you can safely get in your hospital tank will be helpful as well. Good luck. I just lost a beautiful one. I'd had it for 5 months, it arrived with 2 mouths and finally started to split a couple of weeks ago. For whatever reason it didn't complete the splitting process, I'm thinking I should have cut it after a few days as it just declined and turned to mush within about a week of starting to split. It had been absolutely happy before this :(

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest treating the next one from day one, no matter how good it looks. I think you said you dosed 250 mg/gallon, but maybe that was a typo? It should be 250 mg per 5 gallons. That much cipro would likely kill the anemone as antibiotics do seem a bit stressful on the anemone (they will often bleach to some extent). If you haven't already, read the sticky on treating anemones with cipro as it is a proven method. 100% water change every 12-24 hours. As much flow as you can safely get in your hospital tank will be helpful as well. Good luck. I just lost a beautiful one. I'd had it for 5 months, it arrived with 2 mouths and finally started to split a couple of weeks ago. For whatever reason it didn't complete the splitting process, I'm thinking I should have cut it after a few days as it just declined and turned to mush within about a week of starting to split. It had been absolutely happy before this :(
In a frantic quick research I came across a recommendation of 250mg/gal which I reluctantly followed. It did seem quite an intense dose.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a frantic quick research I came across a recommendation of 250mg/gal which I reluctantly followed. It did seem quite an intense dose.
Why didn’t you just read the sticky posts here?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Thank you for your reply! I do have cipro on hand and did begin to treat the 2nd nem.

I am running a 55w UV sterilizer.

The first nem, undoubtedly should have been in cipro day 1.

The 2nd nem look beautiful without cloudy water when shipped so maybe? Against my better judgment I did not treat immediately and let it wither away in the display.

My opposition to treating it immediately again was it looked great and I've heard many stories of people like you, having little to no issue.

For this reason and the nems following the same steps, flopping to the sand identically, makes me question my water parameters and if there might be something else at play here.
Mags are difficult they have to be acclimated first and then shipped right to avoid the bacterial infection. There is a very specific way to ship mags :) as for the best results treating with cipro for a few days or a sulfamethoxazole and tri. Combo works good even if they look healthy upon arrival.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think for my own sanity, I'm going to run a heavy dose of cipro through the whole system this week just to know I did it. I just super fear dinos coming back if cipro has any negative affect at this dose on the good bacteria.

I always dose bacteria daily with my cipro to be safe.
Dangerous but it can be done I usury only keep nems so it’s easy to do a full dose cipro but I’ve had it mess my water parameters enough to upset and bleach some of my sps so definitely approach this method with caution :)

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
cipro also works beast when it can target the infection. so in a tank with a ton of stuff in it there’s a lot less chance the meds will be effective on the one animal that needs it. Separating and then quarantining the sick Nem will always give you best chances at beating the infection:)

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on bacterial stability/ maturation of your display (considering the antibiotics you added to it) before getting another anemone. This all seems a bit hasty/chaotic.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My humble advice:

1. I would stop introducing mags to your tank so quickly. Take some time to regroup and reflect on what went wrong. Adding nem after nem and failing is just killing nems. I don’t mean to preach, but sometimes it’s good to pause and figure out what’s happening.
2. You probably introduced into your system a pathogen or just allowed the sick nem to dispel into your tank something that could have harmed your second mag. I’ve seen this before where I introduced a sick mag and it wiped out all the healthy mags in my system. Give your system time to purge whatever “it” is, whether it’s bacteria, virus, or chemical.
3. Treat your new mag before introducing it to your tank, even if it looks healthy. I ALWAYS treat a new nem now out of caution. 250 Mg/5 gal cipro treatment
4. Try and source a mag that’s already acclimated and healthy in captivity. You’ll have a much higher success rate than wild caught.

Also, please don’t micro dose cipro. That’s a very reckless thing to do. You’ll for sure create resistant strains, which can pass that genetic information along to other nastier strains. Don’t play with fire please. Either do a full treatment to effectively kill, or don’t do it at all. I worked in a USDA pathogens lab in school and this stuff is real and has huge consequences. There’s a reason pharmacies require prescriptions from licensed professionals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back