Ritteri help. Multiple lost.

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I know this is borderline covered a bit I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with my specific situation.

I just lost my 2nd ritteri and with a replacement coming I need all the help I can get. I'll include as uch detail as possible.

The magnificent sea anenome is what got into reefing. It's what I ultimately decided I was after before having a tank.

The tank is well over a year old now and I've decided it's time. I've kept BTAs successfully no issue. There aren't any other anemones in the tank(aiptsia here and there)

So I order one.

Shows up in relatively rough shape, gaping, slightly hazy water.

He fought me from day one. Never fully inflated but day 1-2 would fluctuate to maybe 50% inflated. This anemone never grabbed its foot and about 4 days in I realized the shipper had torn the foot.

Day 5 the nems melting, melting gone.

A week later I order another one, this one shows up, a much larger ritteri, slightly gaped but clear water in bag.

Acclimate same as first, 30min float, drip and replace 50% water let it refill.

Drop him in, I put him in a crevasse(I didn't know they differed in that sense I do now)

He holds for the day and most of the night. During this first day, dare I say he over-inflated absolutely massive 6" tentacles that were about 1cm diameter at the massive tentacles. Tight puckered mouth, I was extremely happy and optimistic.

Next morning he's 100% deflated and mouth down on the sand. The first ritteri also did the same thing, flopped mouth down to the sand, slightly open mouth

I pick him up and place him on a flat surface right next to where it was previously. Similar but different.

This nem is very responsive at this point, would pucker its mouth right up and grab on, and start to inflate really fast from here.

Following day he was mouth down in some rocks. I believe I should have left it alone at this point instead of trying new rock positions.

Somewhere in the first 3 days my clownfish were hosting it when I woke up in the morning, although he was back on the sand, a heartbreak/spirit boost combo. My clowns have never been in a nem and didn't care about any BTA or the last ritteri, they noticed this one, and kept a close eye on it. They never bothered it again from this day but seemingly stared at it all day just waiting for it to make a health improvement.

Essentially this process repeats every day and gets worse and worse and worse, I set up a hospital tank day 5 or 6 250mg/gal cipro acclimated and put it in. I used water from the display tank.

It basically melted right then and there, next day just a gelatinous mass. The sad part is it's foot was still holding when I pulled it but it was just a mash of nasty. I think my help came too late. I planned on ciproing this one from the beginning but it looked so good for the first two days that I missed my window.

So, the supplier is replacing the one sent with a ripped foot. It should arrive next week, I changed carbon on the DT to clear any nasty hopefully. But I believe the nem melting for a day before transfered caused me to loose a torch.

So with this one coming I just am really after and further tips or absolute donts with ritteri.

I don't know if I'm using too much flow/light and it's running from there, or what, they say high flow and light but high is an arbitrary measurement.

Here's my set up.

It was directly under a kessil a500x but towards the end I pulled it away a little.

About 8" from water surface.

General tank Params as follows.

Nitrate:12
Po4: .07
Alk:10
Mag:1600
Cal:460
Sal:1.026 on ATO

Display is 250 gallons

I don't know why I lost the 2nd nem, maybe I didn't leave it alone it just looked so terrible everything it let go and was on the sand/falling into rock cracks.

I haven't done an ICP in a while I wonder if trace metals or something could do it, both nems seemingly followed the same steps.

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you probably know, ritteris don't ship well because their "recycling" of the water in the bag often leads to them developing bacterial infections in their body cavity as they re-swallow the fouled water they were trying to expel. One of the easiest ways to recognize this is from the gaping mouth and cloudy bag water.

Check out these threads:

These threads have good info and protocols about quarantining anemones. Look into acquiring some ciprofloxacin (harder than it used to be), metronidazole (metroplex), or other broad-spectrum antibiotics. I also find running a UV sterilizer on the display tank keeps them happier in the long run, as that keeps the water-borne bacteria counts low between water changes.

I've been lucky enough to not have had this problem with the ritteri's I've dealt with, but I consider myself very lucky in this regard. You should not expect this to be the case when it comes to bringing in larger, more delicate anemone species.

IMG_1248.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you probably know, ritteris don't ship well because their "recycling" of the water in the bag often leads to them developing bacterial infections in their body cavity as they re-swallow the fouled water they were trying to expel. One of the easiest ways to recognize this is from the gaping mouth and cloudy bag water.

Check out these threads:

These threads have good info and protocols about quarantining anemones. Look into acquiring some ciprofloxacin (harder than it used to be), metronidazole (metroplex), or other broad-spectrum antibiotics. I also find running a UV sterilizer on the display tank keeps them happier in the long run, as that keeps the water-borne bacteria counts low between water changes.

I've been lucky enough to not have had this problem with the ritteri's I've dealt with, but I consider myself very lucky in this regard. You should not expect this to be the case when it comes to bringing in larger, more delicate anemone species.

IMG_1248.jpg

Thank you for your reply! I do have cipro on hand and did begin to treat the 2nd nem.

I am running a 55w UV sterilizer.

The first nem, undoubtedly should have been in cipro day 1.

The 2nd nem look beautiful without cloudy water when shipped so maybe? Against my better judgment I did not treat immediately and let it wither away in the display.

My opposition to treating it immediately again was it looked great and I've heard many stories of people like you, having little to no issue.

For this reason and the nems following the same steps, flopping to the sand identically, makes me question my water parameters and if there might be something else at play here.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I do have cipro on hand and did begin to treat the 2nd nem.

The 2nd nem look beautiful without cloudy water when shipped so maybe? Against my better judgment I did not treat immediately and let it wither away in the display.

My opposition to treating it immediately again was it looked great and I've heard many stories of people like you, having little to no issue.

For this reason and the nems following the same steps, flopping to the sand identically, makes me question my water parameters and if there might be something else at play here.
The only water param I can see being an issue is your magnesium, 1600 is wicked high. Most people aim for 1320-1380 in a reef. You can go higher, but you would have to acclimate most things to that quite slowly, in my opinion. That being said, I don't have much knowledge on how that would affect an anemone, but I know people will aim for numbers that high when trying to kill certain nuisance algaes.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only water param I can see being an issue is your magnesium, 1600 is wicked high. Most people aim for 1320-1380 in a reef. You can go higher, but you would have to acclimate most things to that quite slowly, in my opinion. That being said, I don't have much knowledge on how that would affect an anemone, but I know people will aim for numbers that high when trying to kill certain nuisance algaes.
Yep correct! It was raised for dinos, there way gone but I haven't tried to lower it, I haven't heard of negative effects but it could be possible.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep correct! It was raised for dinos, there way gone but I haven't tried to lower it, I haven't heard of negative effects but it could be possible.
I don't think it would have negative effects long term IF you acclimated slowly to it. Say, starting the nem in a more normal range and slowly increasing it over the course of a couple weeks, which is what I imagine you did with your current invert inhabitants. I don't think that is something you can make up with just a long drip acclimation. That being said, I don't really know how high mag would affect most things, but I imagine dropping this new, stressed, and generally delicate creature into such unusual conditions can't be a good idea.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another note is I don't do water changes frequently at all. Actually I've done one in about 2 years.

I wonder if I have a higher negative bacterial issue in the water, I occasionally dose cipro to the whole system low dose.

But I have been dealing with some torch BJD for quite some time now, it comes and goes I always chalk it up to alk swings but it's not impossible I have a high concentration of bad bacteria after all that.

In which case I'd ask about a higher dose for the DT. I'm just worried of damaging the good bacteria or ending up in another dino battle

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cipro is degraded by UV.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another note is I don't do water changes frequently at all. Actually I've done one in about 2 years.

I wonder if I have a higher negative bacterial issue in the water, I occasionally dose cipro to the whole system low dose.

But I have been dealing with some torch BJD for quite some time now, it comes and goes I always chalk it up to alk swings but it's not impossible I have a high concentration of bad bacteria after all that.
Also possible. How often do you change your UV bulbs? Most aim for every 6-12 months.
Cipro is degraded by UV.
This is also a factor, the cipro is probably not doing much.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is degraded by UV.
Yes! The hospital tank mentioned with cipro does not have UV. When the ritteri was in the DT UV was running and hadn't seen cipro in weeks. When I dose to the whole DT system I shut off UV for a few days

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In which case I'd ask about a higher dose for the DT. I'm just worried of damaging the good bacteria or ending up in another dino battle
I’ve dosed 500mg in 40b before for broadcast dosing and had no ill effects

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! The hospital tank mentioned with cipro does not have UV. When the ritteri was in the DT UV was running and hadn't seen cipro in weeks. When I dose to the whole DT system I shut off UV for a few days
Ah got it. Good... I am no anemone expert... just knew that about cipro. Hope you get one that lives. They are beautiful.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dosed 500mg in 40b before for broadcast dosing and had no ill effects
Yeah my low dose is the torch dose, it's like 1/8 a 250mg tab a day over 400 gallons total so I haven't added much.

I probably need to dose thousands of MG for it to be effective

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my low dose is the torch dose, it's like 1/8 a 250mg tab a day over 400 gallons total so I haven't added much.

You could always try QTing that torch with your next ritteri, although you'd probably have to follow the daily 100% water changes more seriously since that torch "jelly" is probably ripe with bacteria.

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's .125/mg/L is the low dose I follow. Dose that to the DT daily for a week.

I'm probably going to need to dose significantly significantly higher.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea probly need 5000mg daily for a week huge tank!

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try QTing that torch with your next ritteri, although you'd probably have to follow the daily 100% water changes more seriously since that torch "jelly" is probably ripe with bacteria.
When my torches go they melt overnight, all my torches currently are doing good for now haha

OP
OP
L

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for my own sanity, I'm going to run a heavy dose of cipro through the whole system this week just to know I did it. I just super fear dinos coming back if cipro has any negative affect at this dose on the good bacteria.

I always dose bacteria daily with my cipro to be safe.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back