OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by trip points you mean .5 or 50 above/below?

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll look tonight. I believe on my head unit it doesn't reference trip point, just on or off or open/close. And to clarify open is off right?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is what I need. Off is open if it is a normally open switch. Since the controller doesn't know they use open/ close.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will get that tonight and send to you. I wonder if I jab a problem because I started to program the alarms from MyReef and modified them from the head unit. Should I remove these alarms and start over from the head unit if that is possible?

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the latch output light to go off but that's as far as I got. This weekend has been busy. I'll try to get to it Sunday but most likely it will be Monday.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out the thread that you were originally referring to back a long time ago. At that point in time the RKE had a programming function that allowed you to use AND and OR logic with three different triggers. It made doing what you want pretty simple. At some point during an update in firmware, that function went away. I will have to look at my programming on my system at home that I am using for my ATO tank. It uses a similar switch setup to trigger once and ignore the switch being restored, which is what you want. Once the trigger is made, (low water condition) it turns off a channel. Even if that trigger is restored you want the system to ignore it until trigger two is present. My ATO is like that. When the bottom float is triggered it turns on my RODI to start refilling the 50g drum. Even when the bottom float switch is reset because the water level goes back up, the RKE ignores that switch. It will keep the channel on until the water level hits the top float switch. When the water level drops and the top float switch is reset, the system ignores that. This would work for you by replacing the top float switch with the momentary switch. I will look at this programming when I get home from work and post it here.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. Danny gave me programming along those lines too but I must have something wrong as the system ignores the trigger and comes on when the float switch resets.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-entered the programming with the Head Unit this morning and SUCCESS!! The float and reset work as desired. When the float triggers the alarm the pump shuts down and the empty channel on the PC4 energizes. When I return the float to its normal position the return pump stays 0ff until I push the momentary switch which then turns off the unused channel and energizes the return pump output.

I suppose I could add another device to the programming if the return pump shut down like a skimmer by adding it to Devise 3 in the Alarm programming. And if I wanted to delay its startup I'd just use the delay associated with the skimmer function correct?

I suppose this programming is easier with the Archon. Going forward it looks like I'll need to add more virtual or open outputs on additional PC4's if I want to add refill programming to my NSW mixing tank.

Danny and Dave, thanks very much for all the help you've provided to get this working for me. For me it's somewhat frustrating that RKE gets bashed in these forums when it appears this equipment works well; you just need to have patience with the system and have access to resources like you guys to help people like me over the bumps. I'm certain other controllers have users with the same issues and needs.

Thanks again.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you have it working now.

Do you have an extra switch input if you do you can use it as a sump overfull alarm to turn off your skimmer. I do this on the Archon along with a skimmer cup full float switch. You can use both on the RKE also just use 2 inputs on the alarm. If you don't have the switch inputs you can get them by adding a SL module or a SW5 module. They are compatible with the Archon if you ever choose to upgrade to it.

The only virtual outputs are associated with the PC1 module. Unless you need this module you are probably better off with a PC4. I think the PC4's are being replaced with PB4's. There may be a few dealers with the PC4 that you will need. I am not sure the version 1 RKE has support for the PB4 or not.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I am now trying to automate my water change prep/storage process. Before I had a controller I would refill the container by opening a valve tied to my RODI unit. I've now added a solenoid valve that I thought I could use to open using a float switch when the water level in the storage container triggered the float. Tied to this storage tank is a mix/return pump and a heater. My intent was to turn off the mix/return pump and heater and power the solenoid valve using a high and low float switch. Then when the water reached the full float the mix/return pump and heater would power on and the solenoid valve would power off. What I didn't factor in was the need to have an open output programmed into the alarm that tells the system to resume normal operation. Is this impossible to do given there are only 3 outputs on any alarm or is there a work-around?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about a heater and pump in the storage tank? If so just use the float switch function with a low switch input for on or a push switch if you want the start to be manual and the full float as the off. Just use the controller function to power the pump using the full float as the control input. If you are not controlling the temp of the heater with your controller you can use the controller function with the heater also just like the pump.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danny, yes the heater and pump are the ones for my storage tank. I use the pump as a combination mix pump and pump to deliver NSW to my display when I do a water change. After a water change is complete I don't want the pump to run until the tank refills with RODI water. The RODI refill will be controlled by a solenoid valve. And I don't want the heater to run until after the storage tank refills. I think what I'll do is program the alarms around the 2-floats to shut down the mix pump and open the solenoid valve to refill the storage container then use the upper float on a spare output to shut off the solenoid valve to the RODI and restart the mix pump. I'll control the heater to power off when the level drops below the upper float and energize after the storage tank is full and the water level rises. I run my pump as a multi-timer device as I have it set up to mix the water over the course of a day. Let me know if you see any problems with this logic. Eventually I'd like to set up automatic water changes fed from this storage device.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a try. Just make sure and test it to make sure it does what you want it too.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one float switch be used to control more than one alarm?

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm close on the logo but can't get the reset to work. I have the refill side tat appears to work but the programming to shut down the RODI isn't working correctly.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alarm, yes. You can always get an SW5 module and some float switches if you need more. That module will let you hook up 4 switches.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the floatswitch function? You will need two float switches for it to work. One for empty and one for full.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 134 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back