RKE Return Pump Overflow Programming

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to setting up the RKE on my tank, I had a float switch tied to a relay box from Autotopoff.com. If the water level in the display got too high the float switch would turn off power to the return pump to avoid an overflow (which I experienced once and is why this is now on the tank). The pump would stay off until you pressed a momentary switch on the control box. I want to replicate the same thing with the RKE.

What I set up today is the overflow controlling float tied to Switch A of an SL1 Module and a momentary switch on Switch B of the same SL1. The float switch setting from the Autotopoff.com equipment is normally open according to the information I get from my SL1 and the momentary switch that is tied to Switch B is also open. I'm thinking that the float should be reversed in this setup so that it is normally closed, not open as it is now.

I am also not certain about the wiring. There are 2-pairs of wires coming from the float but only 2 of them were tied within the Autotopoff.com box. My RKE setup only has these two wires connected to the Switch A. Do I need to put the other 2 wires on the momentary switch tied to Switch B?

I need guidance from someone smarter than me on this, which leaves the field wide open. Thanks for the help.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one you cannot use the same switch that is used by another device. You can program an alarm on the float switch when the float is either open or closed. You can also set the return pump to be off if the alarm is active. The only issue is the pump will turn back on if the alarm resets.

That is not exactly what you want. To do what you want may require some external hardware or some creative programming. You can use the alarms as and or or gates as they have 3 inputs. Using this and unused or virtual outputs you may be able to come up with a way to keep the output off until the push button is pressed. I am just guessing that it might be possible. I haven't ever tried it. I am lucky that my sump does not hold enough to overflow the tank. I will get a low liquid level before it gets close.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. To clarify, I don't have the Autotopoff equipment connected anymore. I reused the float switch and wired it to Switch A. So when the float closes the pump stops. This is to prevent my tank from overflowing if the overflow drain would slow or clog. I found this method from the DA website someone posted. They used this for a low water condition in a sump to prevent the pump from starting before the low water condition is corrected. That's what I'd like to do in this case.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a low water float switch in my sump along with one for overfull. If low float switch trips it turns off the return and heaters. If the overfull is tripped it turns off the skimmer. If either are tripped it turns off the auto water change and ATO. If water gets to either level then something is wrong so I do not want the ATO or water change to take place. This is easily accomplished on the Archon as you can control a output with multiple alarms. Since the RKE has multiple inputs you can also do this on it also. You just have to understand the "and" and "or" programming of the alarms.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to program more conditions on the alarm so it works with the switch. Makes sense. So to clear the alarm and all conditions have to be clear.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the "or" type then if any input is in the alarm state the alarm is active. If you use the "and" type then all the inputs have to be in the alarm state to activate the alarm.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I only set one condition for the alarm. I'll revisit the program again with that in mind. So the momentary switch change from open to close would clear the alarm and start the pump again correct? Thanks for the help.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take more than that since it is momentary switch. You can use it with the pump output as another input using the "and" type. Then set that alarm on an unused output. So if the switch is open and the return output is off then the unused output is on. Then use that output along with the float switch on another alarm using the "or" type alarm. Then use that alarm on the return pump. If the float or the unused output is on then the return pump goes off. The pump would then stay off until you press the switch. To be more specific I would need to know if the momentary switch is normally open and what the float is when down.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, give me some time to think on this. I don't have a way to test what I come up with though.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes a difference I can change the float to be closed when down. I just have to remove the float and reverse it. Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read I think I should have added the switch module with the relay. That way I could tie the Autotopoff device with the relay and monitor it with the RKE.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charlie,

Try this and see if it will work. I hooked up my RKE head unit to a PC4 and SL1 to try it. It seems to work on mine OK. I think the only issue is if you loose power it may come back up with the pump off. I tried it and it came back up with the pump on for me.

Return Pump Programming

Outputs:

Return Pump ; type Output
Mode = Auto
Function = Pump
Type = Sump/Skim
At Night = On
Delay = 00:00:00
Default = Off
Standby
Active = ----
Mode = 0000
Alarm = Alarm 2 ; set to alarm you use for alarm 2
When alarm active = Off

Pump Latch ; type Output
Mode = Auto
Function = OnOff
Mode = Off
Alarm = Alarm 1 ; set to alarm you use for alarm 1
When alarm active = On

Alarms:

Alarm 1 ; type Alarm ;Latch alarm
Device 1 = Return Pump ; set to output you use for return
Trip = Off
Device 2 = Reset Switch ; set to port for reset switch
Trip = Open
Device 3 = None
Trip =
Logic = And
Alert = None

Alarm 2 ; type Alarm ;Trigger alarm
Device 1 = Tank Over Full Float Switch ; set to port for over full
switch
Trip = Closed
Device 2 = Pump Latch ; set to output for pump latch
Trip = On
Device 3 = None
Trip =
Logic = OR
Alert = None

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate the time you put into helping me with this. If I have time I'll work on it tonight and let you know if I have any questions.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid I couldn't use your programming. My RKE Head Unit is only able to be updated to firmware 2.06 because of its age. So the options you have like Return Pump and Pump Latch aren't available to me. I assume the output programming is for the PC4 that is tied to the return pump. Thanks for trying and if I am missing a window that contains this information let me know.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I set up the Pump Latch on an empty output on the PC4? Is the reset that I have set up with the momentary switch what you call the Pump Latch?

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And where do I set the trigger points in Alarm Setup? Above/below and what value? Thanks again.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are just labels and not an option. I did not know which outputs and input ports you are using.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I correct that the reset function resides on an empty PC4 channel?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back