Auto shut-off power to main pump

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solution to endless cycling is to use a "latching relay" or "memory relay" to cut the power.
The smaller controllers have a minimum off time setting on the outputs which will delay the output from turning back on until that off time is met. You can probably come up with way to latch it to off also. I did that on a output to turn on when a low level was triggered and the latch kept it on until the high level triggered. So you can always do it in reverse or make it where you would have to override the output to get it to turn back on.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to protect my main recirculating pump in case the water level falls too low in the sump. The controller I’ve been using finally gave up the ghost.

I’m looking for something relatively inexpensive and reliable that will shut off the power to the main pump if the water level in the sump falls too low. The current design is a float switch connected to a relay that’s outside the sump. If the water level falls too low, the float causes the relay to open, cutting power to the main pump (and other items sitting in the sump).

I’ll admit that I’ve never actually had an emergency where the switch needed to cut the power (knock on wood it won’t happen), but I’d sleep better knowing I had some protection there.

Thanks in advance!

Why not run auto-top off to prevent the water level from dropping too low in the first place?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not run auto-top off to prevent the water level from dropping too low in the first place?
Or do both, have auto top off and a low level shut off. I would suggest having a way to tell when the ATO reservoir was low so I can be refilled.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do both, have auto top off and a low level shut off. I would suggest having a way to tell when the ATO reservoir was low so I can be refilled.

You could do that too. I like to keep things simple.

OP
OP
RandyL

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can alway get into a controller to do this and some more. The XS starter kit starts at $200 and you can add either a optical water level sensor for $40 or a float sensor for $30. The XS has 4 sense ports and the starter kit comes with a wifi power strip and a temp sensor. So if you use the temp sensor and get a water level sensor for low level then that will leave 2 sense ports where you can add a leak detector and another sensor. It does not have a pH/ORP port but if you do ever decide to expand you can get another Hydros controller and a command bus cable and at least one terminator and create a collective and add the new controller to the collective. A collective works like a controller with the sump of the inputs and outputs of all member controller. So it is like getting a larger controller without giving up what you already have. The wifi strip has 4 AC outputs that can be controller with the controller individually and 4 USB power outputs that can be controlled together by the controller. A single controller or collective can control up to 8 wifi devices. The wifi strip counts as one device. So you can use one of the outlets to power your return pump but since you would turn off your return you will also want to turn off your skimmer at that time. You can do that with this and add a turn back on delay on the skimmer and have it depend on the return being powered. Using that dependency the delay time would start as soon as your return outlet powers back up. I also used a wifi strip to control my heaters but they were 50 watt heaters and had their own thermostat also so I use their thermostat as a backup. If you already have a heater controller you can use the Hydros as a backup and power down if the temp goes above a certain point. Since my heaters are in my sump they also are dependent on the the return output. So doing this way you can add some more fail safes to other devices as well if you return were turned off. Here is a link to the one I suggested here https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-control-xs-starter-kit . If you are not in a hurry there is a new controller coming out with the AC outlets on the controller instead of a wifi strip. That one has 4 sense port and 4 drive ports along with a pH port and salinity port but it is quite a bit more in price. It also has 4 0-10v inputs in a port so you can add things like button boxes and some other DIY things up to those. It is called Launch. It will be on the same website that the link to the other one is on.
Thanks for the very thorough answer, Danny. This looks to be a reasonably priced solution with some additional options to consider. I appreciate you taking the time to provide so much detail and background! I'll take a look at it.

OP
OP
RandyL

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$30.00. Cant beat that for peace of mind.
This looks interesting. I'll take a look. Thanks, Fungi.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back