RKL how too??

sweetride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am hoping one of you guys can help me out as i did not have much luck in the DA forum.

so am using the RKL for my ATO with one float switch, I would like to put a limit on the max time the pump will run (ie. pump runs for 2 minutes then off for 5 minutes and so on...)

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that may be difficult. your rate of evaporation will vary and it's difficult to time your ato exactly when the float switch would kick on and off.
what is your purpose of timing your ato float switch?

sweetride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that may be difficult. your rate of evaporation will vary and it's difficult to time your ato exactly when the float switch would kick on and off.
what is your purpose of timing your ato float switch?

Just to clarify, I want the float switch to activate the ATO pump but I want to put a max run time for the pump ie. 2 minutes. I want this in place as a fail-safe feature, just in case the ATO gets stuck or the ATO reservoir is empty.

.......would programming this be very similar to programming a dosing pump, but just using to float switch to activate it?

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweetride, it is easily done and in fact built into the RK programming (ver 2.x). As long as you have version 2.x of the firmware, you can program the PC4 socket that the pump is on for ATO by first assigning it to a controller switched device, and whatever switch your using (SWA or B). Then you can set the run time property right from the menu. I find it is easiest for people to use the MyReef software to program this.

Another thing I do is I use 2 float switched, one about an inch above the other, and wire it all together as a collapsable circuit. Black wire to one float switch, red to the other, then the remaining float switch wires to each other. that way if the bottom float switch (the one that is set to the desired water level in the sump) fails, the other float switch trips and shuts down the ATO pump. I don;t know on your setup, but for some smaller tanks 2 minutes would still cause an overflow situation, so this other safeguard removes the failure point on the float switch.
If you need more help just let me know!
Regards,

Andy
(TeamDA)

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blurry,
try checking out the pump runtime control. the cool thing is it makes the old way (your multi timer method) easier and repeatable without programming multiple timers, and allows alarming to cut off the pump (float switch int he Top off reservoir). Either way will work, I just wanted to point out that DA (I am TeamDA) took this as a wish list item a few years ago and incorporated this very function into the RKL/RKE programming.

Havasuviking1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK---I am really lost. Just got a RKL. I have read the manual and I just can't figure it out. I just want start with the basics. I want to have my dosing pump turn on at 6 am, run for 12 minutes and then repeat 2 times at 2 pm and 10 pm. Can someone have pity on me and take me through the steps from beginning to end. I know that I am asking a lot, but I really need help. Thanks!

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to set up a multi timer, and then set the PC4 socket the dosing pump is plugged into to that multi timer.

Timer:

Timer (whatever number you assign, if the only timer then 1)
DOW: SMTWTFS
Start 6:00:00
On duration 00:12:00
Off duration: 08:00:00
Repeat Count: 2
Oscillate: Off
Random: No

PC4 Socket:

Ch:1
Mode: Auto

Function: Multi-Timer
Timer A: 1
Timer B: 0
In standby: Ignore
Standby Delay: 00:00:00
Default: off

If you need further help you should go to the DA support forums. Loads of info there. Digital Aquatics. Then choose the support forums link.

Cheers!

Andy

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back