RO/DI Confusion

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to build a saltwater mixing station with an RO/DI filter. I’ve looked around at different RO/DI systems, some new and some used, and I’m getting a little confused. My plan was to buy a simple, 4-stage system from BRS (picture 1). But, on several different used equipment sites I’ve seen listings for “BRS 4-Stage RO/DI System” with A LOT more equipment attached to them (example picture 2). So, can I use the simple filter in the first picture, or do I have to add more things to the BRS 4-stage to make it work properly?

AE539592-93B0-42A2-B175-CA0C98F52991.png 43A0779C-5493-4F11-9731-FC635A44AB55.jpeg

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A descent four or five stage RODI is usually all you need. The extras that are often added are helpful but unnecessary unless there’s an issue with your water. Things like a pump to help with water pressure so you have less waste water, TDS meters to tell you when you need to replace filters, or additional filters for added filtration. There are a few reasons why you’d have to have these things like if your home has low water pressure making a pump necessary or high levels of silicates in your water making an extra filter necessary but most of these upgrades can be added on later if you decide you want to.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a basic level the brs 4 stage has all you need other than some plumbing fittings.

The better answer is "it depends". Depending on the water pressure where you live you may need a booster pump. It should work in any case but if pressure is not enough it can be slower, inefficient, and bad for filter longevity.

Tds meters are other common addon. They are nice to have to ensure low tds and knowing when to change filters. Personally i prefer handheld pen style i can test with rather than those built inline on systems.

Pressure gauges are another common addon.

Personally i consider BRS rodi units quite overpriced. I would buy from somewhere else and get something with the standard canister size(that way you can use any filter brand you want). The basic equipment itself is the same on all the systems...BRS just charges a LOT more for them.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A descent four or five stage RODI is usually all you need. The extras that are often added are helpful but unnecessary unless there’s an issue with your water. Things like a pump to help with water pressure so you have less waste water, TDS meters to tell you when you need to replace filters, or additional filters for added filtration. There are a few reasons why you’d have to have these things like if your home has low water pressure making a pump necessary or high levels of silicates in your water making an extra filter necessary but most of these upgrades can be added on later if you decide you want to.
+1 this
I started with a 4 stage spectra pure 75 gpd and added stuff in stages to make it more efficient. It's now basically a 7 stage 200 GPS system.

My recommendation is start with anything you can afford that use standard the 2.5 x 10 filters. 3 stage deionization isn't necessary, but it's more efficient when changing out used up resin.

The standard 1/4 push fittings make it extremely easy to change stuff around later.

OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about BR
At a basic level the brs 4 stage has all you need other than some plumbing fittings.

The better answer is "it depends". Depending on the water pressure where you live you may need a booster pump. It should work in any case but if pressure is not enough it can be slower, inefficient, and bad for filter longevity.

Tds meters are other common addon. They are nice to have to ensure low tds and knowing when to change filters. Personally i prefer handheld pen style i can test with rather than those built inline on systems.

Pressure gauges are another common addon.

Personally i consider BRS rodi units quite overpriced. I would buy from somewhere else and get something with the standard canister size(that way you can use any filter brand you want). The basic equipment itself is the same on all the systems...BRS just charges a LOT more for them.
I agree about BRS’s prices. But, since I haven’t been in the hobby very long, I don’t know of other reliable companies. At least I know that other people use and trust BRS. If you know of some other, more reasonably priced, reliable RO/DI producers, please let me know.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, in your picture, that's a four stage RODI filter on the left, just like in your link, plus another 2 stage unit on the right. Plus there's a booster pump (the black thing, top middle), what I think is a Watchdog (checks for water leaking) and the two white things on either side of the booster pump are spare filters.
It's possible the person is only selling the 4 stage filter. It's possible they're selling it all and just used the wrong title for the add. Who knows, but in either case, that's what all the other stuff is.

Having said that, unless you're getting a really good deal, I'd just buy this type of stuff new. You'll have to replace all the filters right away anyway, might as well start out with a new unit so you know the canisters/seals/connectors/hoses etc are all in good shape as well.

ETA, I see there's no filters in either of those units, maybe the ones on top aren't really 'spare'.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4 stage is pretty much all you need to start with. You can upgrade from there. I recommend adding some pressure gage, inline tds meter, and a di resin bypass for when you initially turn on the unit (bypass the di resin for about a minute to dramatically prolonge the resin life)

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your original message - the 4 stage you pictured new from BRS I have been using for a couple years and 10/10 would buy again. The 'used' picture appears to have additional add ons like a booster pump and additional filter stages.

Depending on your towns water quality and your water pressure, these things may or may not be helpful. To start you are fine with the 'basic' four stage (assuming your towns water quality is not super poor)

OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, in your picture, that's a four stage RODI filter on the left, just like in your link, plus another 2 stage unit on the right. Plus there's a booster pump (the black thing, top middle), what I think is a Watchdog (checks for water leaking) and the two white things on either side of the booster pump are spare filters.
It's possible the person is only selling the 4 stage filter. It's possible they're selling it all and just used the wrong title for the add. Who knows, but in either case, that's what all the other stuff is.

Having said that, unless you're getting a really good deal, I'd just buy this type of stuff new. You'll have to replace all the filters right away anyway, might as well start out with a new unit so you know the canisters/seals/connectors/hoses etc are all in good shape as well.

ETA, I see there's no filters in either of those units, maybe the ones on top aren't really 'spare'.
I think you are right. Getting it new is the way to go. I just figured I’d see if there was anything out there, but I’m definitely leaning towards a new system.

DaddyDaughterNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My four stage from BRS just came yesterday. I actually thought it was a good deal, but I’m also still a newb. Can anyone recommend something lower-priced? My point of comparison was the Waterbox four stage at $75 more.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about BR

I agree about BRS’s prices. But, since I haven’t been in the hobby very long, I don’t know of other reliable companies. At least I know that other people use and trust BRS. If you know of some other, more reasonably priced, reliable RO/DI producers, please let me know.
When it comes to the basics(ie the structure/tubing/canisters its pretty much the same thing from bobs discount store or BRS. The replaceable filters/membranes do have varying levels of quality and it may make sense to pay for premium there(it doesnt for me).

I would look at something like either of these. They use the standard size filter canisters which i think is important to keep options open there

Koolermax AR-122 6-stage RO+DI Aquarium Reef Reverse Osmosis Water System 150 GPD New Complete https://a.co/d/20IjTKp

AQUATICLIFE 4-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Deionization System, RO/DI Filter Unit 100 GPD https://a.co/d/7ij9gvh

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about BR

@Buckeye Hydro is a sponsor here and all they do is water treatment. call Russ with your source water data and he can help you get the best system for your water.

OP
OP
Guns286

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to the basics(ie the structure/tubing/canisters its pretty much the same thing from bobs discount store or BRS. The replaceable filters/membranes do have varying levels of quality and it may make sense to pay for premium there(it doesnt for me).

I would look at something like either of these. They use the standard size filter canisters which i think is important to keep options open there

Koolermax AR-122 6-stage RO+DI Aquarium Reef Reverse Osmosis Water System 150 GPD New Complete https://a.co/d/20IjTKp

AQUATICLIFE 4-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Deionization System, RO/DI Filter Unit 100 GPD https://a.co/d/7ij9gvh
I’ll check them out. Thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back