RO/DI help

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something doesn't sound right. With that amount of dissolved CO2, I would've expected the pH to be lower than neutral. If that's not enough CO2 to drop the pH, then CO2 is probably not the issue.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did my math correctly, 50 ppm is roughly 50 mg/L. 50 mg is around 8.1 x10^-4 moles of carbonic acid. Since the acid is diprotic and assuming total dissociation (probably some error with this assumption as I was lazy and didn't look up the dissociation constant), the associated hydronium ion concentration is 1.6 x 10^-3 mol/L, yielding a pH of around 2.8. So, essentially, the pH should not be 7 with that concentration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just doing some follow up, in case this helps any one.

I just added a booster pump to my RODI system. I'm running my RO membrane at 80psi. It is taking my incoming water TDS from 1120 down to 3 after the membrane. My DI is polishing off the 3 TDS and the life of my DI is greatly increased. Prior to the booster pump installation I was getting 60 TDS after the membrane. If anyone is having difficulty getting TDS low I strongly recommend trying a booster pump

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just doing some follow up, in case this helps any one.

I just added a booster pump to my RODI system. I'm running my RO membrane at 80psi. It is taking my incoming water TDS from 1120 down to 3 after the membrane. My DI is polishing off the 3 TDS and the life of my DI is greatly increased. Prior to the booster pump installation I was getting 60 TDS after the membrane. If anyone is having difficulty getting TDS low I strongly recommend trying a booster pump

Wow! That's nice! I think my current problem is water temp. I run mine at 100psi too but my water is warm.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back