RO/DI high reads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220322_110040.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should there be any water in the RO canisters?
Reverse Osmosis Membrane Flush Valve - Bulk Reef Supply
I have inspected the O rings but I can do it again.
Try removing that flush valve. Maybe the restrictor is clogged? Normal rate of waste to RO on city water pressure for a single membrane should be around 3-4 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of RO. 2 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of RO seems a bit low on the waste. Worth testing the RO with the restrictor off so you are not forcing too much water through the membrane and pulling TDS with it.

Have you checked TDS with those inline meters? Maybe your handheld meter is not working?

Make sure the RO filter is inserted all the way in and the O rings are going all the way into the small tube at the other end. I usually just spit on the O rings to help them slip into the housing with a gentle twist and push. You are putting the end with the O rings into the RO housing first correct?

It is possible a membrane is defective but 2 old ones and 2 new ones?? Highly unlikely. Something else going with the O rings sealing or the flow rate out the waste line.

Yes there will be water in the RO housing when you screw the end cap off.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shirak.
Have you checked TDS with those inline meters? Maybe your handheld meter is not working?

The reads are different but not really much better, so say 125 TDS I am getting 175 with the mounted testers, I have 3 testers and getting 3 different reads.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the RO canisters are cracked? How do I check for that?
Unlikely but if the piece on the inside where the O rings go is cracked then tap water will slip past the O rings into the RO water. I don't think there is a way to test it.

Did you run hot water through these membranes at any time?

Try taking that flush/restrictor valve off first. 2 gallons of waste to 1 gallon of RO is not good. Should be about 4 gallons of waste.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shirak. I am sorry I do not know how to quote of this site,

Did you run hot water through these membranes at any time? Answer No

As soon as I put them in I noticed a huge problem and then is when I reached out in this thread for help.

At first my lines where crossed, out instead of in, problem with Speactrpure and BRS they are different for in and out.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote just hit the reply to my post and it will auto fill the quote

Shirak. I am sorry I do not know how to quote of this site,

Did you run hot water through these membranes at any time? Answer No

As soon as I put them in I noticed a huge problem and then is when I reached out in this thread for help.

At first my lines where crossed, out instead of in, problem with Speactrpure and BRS they are different for in and out.

I wonder if the membranes got damaged by reverse flow?

Mur-lok Elbow Check Valve 1/8" Male NPT x 1/4" Push Connect - G.A. Murdock

What does this valve do, and how do you know if it is working correctly?
Looks like a check valve to prevent water from going the wrong direction. I have never used one. I have also never used an auto shut off. I do not see an auto shut off in any of your photos.

Have you tried running a single RO without the white bypass valve attached and let the waste line flow unhindered?

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I tried it singular as well. I do not know if I damaged the filters by running it backwards. If I did it was not for a long time, just enough to see there was a problem.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shirak, I wonder if the membranes got damaged by reverse flow?

See thread number 28 for the picture.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shirak, I wonder if the membranes got damaged by reverse flow?

See thread number 28 for the picture.
Maybe, but you are getting the same results with the old filters and were those also subjected to the reverse flow pressure?

flushing the heck out of it won’t do anything. If everything is correct and working properly the RO TDS should drop to 4ppm range after about a half gallon of RO water.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you insert the RO membrane do you get a little resistance as each O ring goes into the fitting at the bottom of the RO housing?

Have you looked with a flashlight at the connection inside the RO housing when the O rings go to see if there are any cracks or damage visible? That little black rubber piece around the RO filter on the other end should also seal against the inside of the RO housing near the screw cap.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back