RO/DI high reads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220316_090033.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this part is Speatrapure it is backwards from a BRS reactor.
Left is in right is out.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am back, I have hooked up my new 3 way valve from BRS, does this look correct, this is backside. so to speak.
20220321_152506.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the front view, so the left side is the in.
The right side is the out or to the two RO membranes.
All filters are new now.
318 is the In,
125 is the out or going to the DI chambers.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All filters are new now.
318 is the In,
Contact BRS via their website. Someone will email you and can walk you through troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very frustrated with Speatrapure, they used to be a company that you could call and ask questions, now, NO, they say if you have a problem open a ticket, but when you try all they have is frequently asked questions and no place for a comment. So now I am out of water so I can drive 130 miles RT to get water. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, with TDS that high through the membranes, then I would suspect that water is completely bypassing the membranes internally. What was your source TDS compared to the product/effluent of the membranes? Are you using a booster pump? If so, then it should be after the last carbon block and right before the membranes. Is there a flush valve and do you have a flow restrictor? I can trace my lines and give a detailed flow chart, if needed?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I think the best thing to do is start from the beginning. I think there is still something wrong with your connections but I am still having a hard time seeing all the connections the tubing is making.

But I have a question first on the White valve that appears to be closed on the Black tubing. Is it closed? (yellow circled)
How much water is coming out of the waste line if you run a single RO filter? It should be about 4 :1 Waste : RO amount.

I would suggest the following setup to test each RO membrane and make sure they are not damaged or the O rings got damaged when inserting. If the O rings got damaged tap water will leak into the RO section.

And just so we are clear on exactly what each connection is and there is no confusion I labelled the photo. Disconnect the DI canister. (Red circled connection) It is not helping and not needed to test each RO filter for proper function. I would move the TDS meter circled in purple to the waste line so you can monitor the waste water TDS.

Remove any auto shut offs and valves etc. Going for simple setup to check the RO.

Tap water in on the red line. Goes into left sediment canister. Water then goes to Center carbon block. Exit carbon block at Green arrow. Run a line from the carbon block exit to RO IN other green arrow. Put a bucket to collect the RO water and the Waste water individually. Run for a few minutes.

You should see the following:

Tap water TDS (lets say 300 for example) 300ppm
RO water TDS 2-4ppm
Waste water TDS Over 300ppm

Water collected:
RO 1 Quart
Waste Water 1 Gallon
(I don't know the exact amounts but the point is you should have about 4x the amount of waste water)

IF you do not get these results on testing the RO then there is a problem.
IF you are getting sufficient Waste water volume but the RO TDS is high then there is a problem with the O Rings damaged or the Membrane is busted. It should not take a mallet to put the RO membranes in. Any cut or crack or piece taken off the surface of the O ring will cause tap water to get into the RO.

IF you are not getting sufficient Waste water volume then the restriction on the waste water line is too much and tap water will be forced either through the membrane or around the O rings.

Once you verify RO canister 1 is working correctly DISCONNECT IT and setup RO canister 2 exactly the same way and test it by itself.

Let me know what you find out and we can go from there.

RO.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking for the following information

Tap Water TDS

RO 1
RO TDS
Waste Water TDS
RO Amount of water collected
Waste Water Amount of water collected

RO2
Same information.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this result so far, I have removed both brand new 99% rejection membranes and put the old ones back in and they are new the same as the new ones.
So far I have filled another 30 gallon trash can with waste RO water and filled a 20 gallon container with RO water.

All filters are new now.
318 is the In,

I have isolated the RO filters and all our giving the same reads, basically half of the input or slightly better. I am using a TDS Handheld meter that I purchased from either BRS or Speatrapure and not Amazon so I do not get a counterfeit.

I have removed the tester at the purple circle, I am waiting on new tubing to clear it up and I know this is making it more difficult, I should have ordered it last week. Have added the second RO membrane canister.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this result so far, I have removed both brand new 99% rejection membranes and put the old ones back in and they are new the same as the new ones.
So far I have filled another 30 gallon trash can with waste RO water and filled a 20 gallon container with RO water.

All filters are new now.
318 is the In,

I have isolated the RO filters and all our giving the same reads, basically half of the input or slightly better. I am using a TDS Handheld meter that I purchased from either BRS or Speatrapure and not Amazon so I do not get a counterfeit.

I have removed the tester at the purple circle, I am waiting on new tubing to clear it up and I know this is making it more difficult, I should have ordered it last week. Have added the second RO membrane canister.
Are you saying you are getting 30 gallons of waste water for every 20 gallons of RO water? If so you are restricting the waste water line too much.

What is that white valve that looks like it is closed?

Have you inspected the O rings for damage? If you force the RO membrane in you might have sliced the outside of the O ring off and flattened it on the outer edge.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing any restrictor or valve on the waste water line and run it like that. You should get A LOT of waste water but some RO. Check the TDS of the waste water and the RO water.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to answer every question that was posed, I would like to thank you all for helping out.
My gauge is broken on my unit, if I can find my other one I will check but we always have 65 and plus PSI, city water.

Old RO filters, 2 gallon waste, 445 TDS
Old filter 1 gallon of RO 225 TDS

New filter 2 gallons of waste, 456 TFS much slower rate of flow.
New filter. 1 gallon of RO water with 157 TDS

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back