Ro/di or tap

Andrew.nappo74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been in the hobby for many years on and off but this time I'm sticking with it and really trying to get a thriving tank and try things I've never had anenomes etc..anyhow I'm new to the site and appreciate all your help this fat..so hers the question.. I moved my 24 gallon to another state with all live stock and set up in a 40 breeder in my new home..problem is I really can't afford rodi to make at home as per move etc.low on funds.and still moving In so no time for Craigslist for cheap cheap..I would love to buy rodi water at a aquarium store which normally cost 1.00 per gallon salt and .50 fresh for top offs. The Problem is no car and at the moment and the closet one is costing me 20.00 for round trip plus water.or Petco 10.00 round trip plus water at 12.99 for 5 gallons x 2 so for water.. see my dilema..Can I use tap if tested and I would use prime concentrated conditioner or something someone can recommend.i am housing fire red shrimp,clowns,nems,royal g,and plan on some various softies etc.what should I be texting water for if it's needed..I have enough water for 2 more water changes as I can't Cary sny more per trip so quick answer would be helpful and appreciated .Thanks and have a fishy day..

20200606_162945_HDR.jpg

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used tap it caused a real pain in the a** gha. I tried multuple things and never could get rid of it. Found out it was my tap water, I then switched to rodi and it helps. The pros of rodi outway the cons namely cost. I bought a cheap liquagen off Amazon or you can get a used one from a member. It'll pay for itself.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what's in the tap water I'd say no. You *could* use tap water with amquel or prime in it, and besides your normal algae bloom potential you *could* be fine, or not. I think even an inexpensive system would be worth any cost for sure, and would pay for itself quickly.

OP
OP
Andrew.nappo74

Andrew.nappo74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see a bit more alge in the system as I like to see.this there's was suppose to thread two weeks ago and I accidentally never hit send so I already started do I see the algea more now than I like and have tried to compensate with white lighting to try slow it's growth.i don't want to run UV as I am trying to promote Coraline growth and dosing with purple tech..

OP
OP
Andrew.nappo74

Andrew.nappo74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I am using recommended dose of prime.i guess it's time to skip on a anymore livestock spending and get rodi..safest bet.. maybe 2 more weeks. Should I do a large water change with rodi when the time comes to try to get algea down to a normal level.the tankk is 60% of my old tank water with rodi from store and now tao.running 3 weeks now..

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, you will have many issues and corals will have problems. A RODI is required, this is a expensive hobby and you will not be successful being cheap. Buy RODI water from the lfs but you will save money in the long run buy buying your own unit.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get out, I know you said no car but maybe some place close? Can you get distilled water? Untill your rodi unit comes its likely your best cheapest bet bc it's found at most stores not just pet stores.

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do see a bit more alge in the system as I like to see.this there's was suppose to thread two weeks ago and I accidentally never hit send so I already started do I see the algea more now than I like and have tried to compensate with white lighting to try slow it's growth.i don't want to run UV as I am trying to promote Coraline growth and dosing with purple tech..
All the purple stuff is a come on.

OP
OP
Andrew.nappo74

Andrew.nappo74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics.to enjoy..sorry for the blues and cloudy water..just dosed.lol

1593577731619387254400261130632.jpg 15935777661082424524647305612899.jpg 15935779410437151078938592629282.jpg 15935780154635239725612790311507.jpg 15935780897012617912890291228896.jpg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats in your water? All you need to get rid of are Chlorine, Chloramine, Heavy Metals and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate... Prime does that and for RO/DI you still have to pay for GOOD QUALITY media for it (Carbon Blocks, Sediment etc) I buy saltwater from my LFS but I will get salt but if you are tight on money don't buy RO/DI, it has many confusing and high flood risks, I use water condoner in my freshwater supply and the only consequence is algae, coralline still grows rapidly and my anemone is fine, just get good algae eaters (I have two trochus snails and a coral beauty in a 40 and they keep it at bay.) YEs you have silicates and some other chemicals but they only feed algae and I have seen many beautiful thriving reefs with water conditioner. You can diss me but I have had first hand experience but you will need to manage algae, that's all. I am in my 5th month with this tank and yet to encounter cyano and dinos but I am prepared for war!

OP
OP
Andrew.nappo74

Andrew.nappo74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good luck results with this stuff on my 180 10 years ago..and great idea with distilled.. I get it for my sleep apnea machine..is that safe for a few weeks?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a sleep apnea machine? Normal distilled is fine but I know about RO/DI and WC but nothing about Distilled...

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whats in your water? All you need to get rid of are Chlorine, Chloramine, Heavy Metals and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate... Prime does that and for RO/DI you still have to pay for GOOD QUALITY media for it (Carbon Blocks, Sediment etc) I buy saltwater from my LFS but I will get salt but if you are tight on money don't buy RO/DI, it has many confusing and high flood risks, I use water condoner in my freshwater supply and the only consequence is algae, coralline still grows rapidly and my anemone is fine, just get good algae eaters (I have two trochus snails and a coral beauty in a 40 and they keep it at bay.) YEs you have silicates and some other chemicals but they only feed algae and I have seen many beautiful thriving reefs with water conditioner. You can diss me but I have had first hand experience but you will need to manage algae, that's all. I am in my 5th month with this tank and yet to encounter cyano and dinos but I am prepared for war!
I disagree, a few snails and crabs are okay but you need to fix your algae problems with your water quality and I’m sure you can not grow more difficult corals. Buying a ton of snails and crabs are just a band aid for the issue.

OP
OP
Andrew.nappo74

Andrew.nappo74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend in the hobby for a while and swears by tap and prime and his tank is very nice but no fish only so he can keep lights down..

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, a few snails and crabs are okay but you need to fix your algae problems with your water quality and I’m sure you can not grow more difficult corals. Buying a ton of snails and crabs are just a band aid for the issue.
I will have softies and LPS and like I said, I have seen SPS dominants run on water conditioner

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back