Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* UPDATE

This problem has been solved...!

I ended up adding a booster pump even though I didn’t “need” it, but now I have the option.

CLICK HERE if you’d like to read up on the results!...

———-
———-

Hello fellow reefers,

we have recently moved to a new house and my Reverse Osmosis unit had been sitting stagnant for about 3 months.

Prior to the move it had been barely used.

Problem:
my water output is reading 0TDS, however the amount of filtered water is very very low. And my waste line water output is at least 4-5 times higher.

PSI at the membrane is 40PSI which should be enough (not ideal 50~60 psi, but it should still net me about 55GPD or so)

Question:

since the system hadn’t been used for a few months could this mean I should replace all filters including membrane?

troubleshooting done so far:

- I have flushed the membrane for a full day
- I had the system pressurized for about 4 days

BD4B30BE-B5BF-442D-97C3-4C7820BF35B8.jpeg

4D68AE3D-45EE-42BF-9D41-C46AC075F8C2.jpeg

3A2B4748-BFAB-4032-B989-E4BE0390E6E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 to 1 waste water to good water is a proper ratio. As long as the membrane didn’t dry out it should still be fine. Just monitor your TDS before the DI to make sure you are getting the proper rejection rate.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 to 1 waste water to good water is a proper ratio. As long as the membrane didn’t dry out it should still be fine. Just monitor your TDS before the DI to make sure you are getting the proper rejection rate.

hi Drew.

yeah I was thinking the same ratio, but at the moment it’s more like 1 to 4 instead of 4 to 1 HAhaha.

That’s what I had the old house. It had been sitting without water pressure for a month or 2.

you thinking maybe just replacing the membrane would do the trick? (Maybe membrane dried up too much where even a few days of water pressure just won’t cut it anymore ?)

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you are getting 4gal of good water to 1 gal of waste... and 0 tds? Your DI must be running extra hard and tap water is very low TDS. Are you sure all your shutoff valves are set correctly? 3 months isnt a long time for the system to sit in a temperature controlled environment.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are getting 4gal of good water to 1 gal of waste... and 0 tds? Your DI must be running extra hard and tap water is very low TDS. Are you sure all your shutoff valves are set correctly? 3 months isnt a long time for the system to sit in a temperature controlled environment.

sorry for my lack of explanation.

I’m getting more like 1 gallon of good water and 4 gallons of waste water.

used to be the other way around. The only thing I can think of is that having the system not pressurized under water for a few months (sitting in a box) May have dried something up and blocked something.

I’d like to think 40PSI is enough to get some water, but it’s now barely trickling.

not sure if the video will show up to explain things better

I did buy a shut off valve for the system to be later installed with my fresh water reservoir, but haven’t installed it yet. The only thing that’s connected is the membrane flush valve.

Ps: this system was pre wired with all the RO lines and was working fine when first purchased.

Last edited:

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your unit is functioning normally? My RODI systems have always produced roughly 1 gallon clean water to 4 gallons waste water. I’d say that’s a pretty normal rate. I’ve never heard of a system producing more clean water than waste. My wastewater is a pressurized fire hose and the clean a drizzle.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for my lack of explanation.

I’m getting more like 1 gallon of good water and 4 gallons of waste water.

used to be the other way around. The only thing I can think of is that having the system not pressurized under water for a few months (sitting in a box) May have dried something up and blocked something.

I’d like to think 40PSI is enough to get some water, but it’s now barely trickling.

not sure if the video will show up to explain things better

I did buy a shut off valve for the system to be later installed with my fresh water reservoir, but haven’t installed it yet. The only thing that’s connected is the membrane flush valve.

Ps: this system was pre wired with all the RO lines and was working fine when first purchased.

Ok I just reread this (can’t see the video). 40 psi is a bit low for an RODI,I believe you need around 60psi. You may need a boost pump.

OP
OP
Machpoint89

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the correct ratio. There will always be more waste water than good water on basic RO units.

I’M an IDIOT..!

This is tank number 4 in my life and I should know better. I guess I'm just used to a higher pressure and getting more "good water" than I'm getting this time.

thanks for the reply guys/gals!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back